CarolinaReefin 120gal Build

CarolinaReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the forum as I just signed up this past week but wanted to share my new 120gal mixed reef build with everyone. I started the cycle on April 1st with 25lbs of dead live rock and the second week I added 45lbs of new live rock to help get things started. Last week my ammonia spiked off the chart at 8.0 as I tested today it has already dropped in half to a 4.0 from what it was the first of the week and my Nitrite and Nitrate levels where starting to climb slowly. I have noticed the brown algae bloom the last 2 days as my sand bed and live rock are getting covered pretty good. I may have a small set back with my sump as when I started my tank I was using a 30gal ADHI Refugium only to find a leak from a crack after the first week things where setup. I had a old ProClear 175 back in the closet but it has the Bio Balls which I'm no fan of but until I get my refugium back I desided to keep things up and at least get things going as the new refugium will be here next week which I'm sure will interupt my cycle but I understand it takes time to get things going. I also have a AquaEuro PS135 Skimmer which has been working overtime the last few days.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait to see it!

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the 120 and looking forward to seeing some pics!

OP
OP
C

CarolinaReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The camera on my phone doesn't take good pictures what so ever but I'll be getting a camera soon and will post promise. I've really enjoyed all the post and information found here and I thought my 55gal was great but with this huge upgrade I'm very excited and have really gotten into the hobby much more over the past month or so and I've had my 55gal for 10 years. I've had so much going on with getting things setup and yea you know equipment isn't cheap so it's been a long few months getting things ordered and in place. I was just amazed at how much brown algae has came alone in the last two days and I don't remember having this with my 55gal when I first started it, heck I haven't even made a fish list yet as there is so many out there I like them all, lol. Again thanks for having me and I think this is by far the best forum I've looked at and I don't even look at the others any more, love the info found here and there is some amazing tanks and so many helpful people here to.

OP
OP
C

CarolinaReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking this morning I'll be needing to get my cleanup crew in another week or two and would like to get some input on what and how many I would need if anyone can help me.

Saulsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as of lately I have decided that less is more with cleanup crew. In the sense that a smaller cleanup crew will not need replacing because of starvation. So don't overload it 1000 of everything.. On my tank this time around I went with about 15 micro blue leg hermits and 25 Cerith snails. I like the ceriths because they move across the sandbed and stay buried during the day. All matter of opinion;)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zwyi3a

Bluejawtrigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Look forward to seeing the pics. Try reefcleaner.org, I get all my CUC from them, just can't beat the prices and service.

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with reefcleaners.org, I have seen nothing but very positive feedback from anyone that has done business with them. I am going to being getting my cleanup crew here pretty soon and will be ordering from them. For my cuc I will be getting an assortment of snails with possibly adding one or two small hermits. I believe that the general advise is 1 snail per gallon or two depending on which species of snail. To start I am going to go with even a little less than thatand if and as needed I can supplement my cuc as needed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back