Cerith snails

Noobie_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I just bought a bunch of cerith about a week ago. Since I’ve had them they all hang out right at the water line. Almost looks like they’re trying to escape. Tank temp is 78.7-79.0, haven’t had a chance to test my water but everything else (fish/coral/exsisting CUC) are doing fine. Any ideas out there as to why these little fellers are hanging out at the top? Oh and I got a turbo snail at the same time and it’s happily chowing down.
thanks in advance

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you have Ceriths. Alot of tidal species will do this because they can't breathe underwater, spending much of their lives exposed at low tide. I have Ceriths and maybe one will do that from time to time but never all simultaneously. That's suspicious.

Last edited:

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes tidal snails they are. Real common to see them do this. Think they do this before breeding. Maybe also to think they are racing the tides or water changes. And or they are eating the gunk at the water line. I have a few thousand of them I can verify that is normal of them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back