Chaeto In Display Tank

Ossy3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Bit of a weird one here, I run a canister filter on my display reef tank. Was wondering if I have a small breeder box and place Chaeto in it to help control nitrates & phosphates. Would that be something that could work? I know it probably won't look the best, but I wouldn't mind. Has anyone else tried this before?

Thanks.

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run a HOB chaeto solution before. Ended up with lots of small bits of chaeto in my tank and wasn't a big fan after the experience. I'm sure you could run it inside the tank but is it worth it compared to other solutions to address the issue you're trying to resolve is the question imo.

Just my 2 cents on it, Ryan always says "The right tool for the right job" and everytime i do something and backtrack it's usually because i didn't follow that saying and now i'm wasting more time and potentially money.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some free Chaeto from my LFS and I put it in my DT - figured it could help my nitrates and I could potentially got some copepods out of it. I don't have any room in my sump for a refugium.

OP
OP
Ossy3

Ossy3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some free Chaeto from my LFS and I put it in my DT - figured it could help my nitrates and I could potentially got some copepods out of it. I don't have any room in my sump for a refugium.
That sounds good. Did it help controlling your nitrates & phosphates? Also did any of it leak out into the main tank?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some have placed chaeto ina hampster ball in main tank. I'll look for pics
Not my pic

1sawey2iot351.jpg

Last edited:

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds good. Did it help controlling your nitrates & phosphates? Also did any of it leak out into the main tank?
Definitely helping bring down my nitrates, I don't have much phosphates because it's a new tank, so can't comment there. Some did leak out and got caught in my power head and a little in my filter floss, but it wasn't difficult to remove with some tweezers.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time it will not end up working long term bc
1) the size of breeder box/hamster ball is not big enough to make a noticeable difference
2) chaeto is unstable and sensitive to available nutrient, as in, when there is a lot, it will explode, when there is not enough, it will melt. This end up q lot of times with bits and pieces of melted chaeto in your tank

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back