Chaeto problem

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot grow chaeto. Not only doesn't grow, but turns white after a little bit. I have it in a reactor i got about a week ago. Any ideas what's happening?

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a stupid question but, do you have excess nutrients? Also, who makes the reactor (skimms, diy, etc)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could be amount of flow the lighting or even low nutrients in the tank , maybe?

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things may be happening:
- lack of iron, iodine(iodide?) or other micro trace element. If you are dosing balling/2 part with trace elements daily you have those. Otherwise it may help dosing iron and iodine, which are both used quite fast in the reef tank.
- you are currently running gfo or other absorbent of phosphorus. Or your previous nutrient removal made an unbalance between nitrogen and phosphorus.

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't buy the flow and light theory. In the worst case scenario you would see green hair algae growing all over the chaeto and kill it, it what happens sometimes. If this does not happen it is another sympthom/clue to your algae grow problem.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things may be happening:
- lack of iron, iodine(iodide?) or other micro trace element. If you are dosing balling/2 part with trace elements daily you have those. Otherwise it may help dosing iron and iodine, which are both used quite fast in the reef tank.
- you are currently running gfo or other absorbent of phosphorus. Or your previous nutrient removal made an unbalance between nitrogen and phosphorus.

I'm dosing about 10 mls of Red Sea Coral colors program daily. I do run ROWAPHOS

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have the right equipment working....my next suggestion would be to take the gfo offline. I am not sure what is in the coral colors program but bringing the phosphates online will def. help the cheato.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it white or light green? Is it tightly curled or growing straight? I keep about two gallon bags worth of cheato in my fuge and it doubles every 14 days. the cheato closest to the light (top most) is VERY light green and very straight. The cheato on the bottom is tightly curled and dark green. I sometimes flip the pad over and again the top most lightens and straightens, the bottom (not lit) turns dark green and tightly curls.

I blast my cheato with two 36 watt grow lights.

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it white or light green? Is it tightly curled or growing straight? I keep about two gallon bags worth of cheato in my fuge and it doubles every 14 days. the cheato closest to the light (top most) is VERY light green and very straight. The cheato on the bottom is tightly curled and dark green. I sometimes flip the pad over and again the top most lightens and straightens, the bottom (not lit) turns dark green and tightly curls.

Exactly what happens to mine.

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have the right equipment working....my next suggestion would be to take the gfo offline. I am not sure what is in the coral colors program but bringing the phosphates online will def. help the cheato.
Totally agree with you.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what happens to mine.

I think the white, straight growth is due to the high light levels. If yours is doing what mine is, I literally throw away a half garbage bag full every two or three weeks. Mine grows out of control. I'd try giving it some time to see if it's growing despite the light color.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's a light/green white it looks like and straight.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, as mine doubles rapidly, it isn't indicative of lack of nutrients but rather of high light. Keep it going. I'd expect your mass of cheato to double rather quickly.

I had run an H80 before this and all I got was darker and darker green cheato with tight, tight curls that didn't change in size or mass. If anything its overall volume shrunk. The straight white in my experience is a very good thing.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Totally! FWIW I stopped running GFO and carbon.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That it's actively growing. There's an RC thread from 2008 where a guy talks about growing cheato in direct sunlight and under 400 watt 6500k metal halides. More light is faster growth which has less dense chloroplasts, according to the thread, which causes the lighter color.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back