chemi clean question

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by RickG, Apr 30, 2017.

1. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

hey guys, i had a cyano outbreak and used some chemi clean. Most of it is gone from my tank with just a few patches remaining. Was wondering if to a 20% water change first and then do one more treatment. Thanks in advance guys

2. 120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper Reef keeping with Military Precision! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I would suggest doing the 20% WC and run carbon for a week . Then if needed do again but I wouldn't do them back to back that fast.

jsker, mbmax and RickG like this.
  3. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

I was thinking that it might be to fast, ill end up doing that! No signs of stress on the fish so far and I dont have any corals yet, also aerating the water. Thanks!

120reefkeeper likes this.
  4. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

What's the rationale for not doing multiple treatments in quick succession?

jsker, GoVols and 120reefkeeper like this.
  5. 120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper Reef keeping with Military Precision! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

My rationale is nothing happens fast in reefing.

I take it you have a different opinion?? Have you used chemiclean in quick succession with success?

I have no scientific data to back up my point of view. I've used this product before and never had an issue but I do follow the directions to the letter. I've seen other reefers crash their tanks using it though usually because they didn't follow the directions. I always error on the side of caution. I'd much rather see someone be cautious then go into the unknown blindly.

My above recommendation is real world experience on my part. I have done it this way with success. :)

jsker and GoVols like this.
  6. GoVols

GoVols GRUMORS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I did six treatments in a row with 20% water changes every 48 hours before each treatment with purigen reactor offline and took off skimmer cup and just let the skimmer go wild to keep aeration going and all went well. :)

That was the worst cyano strain that I ever dealt with and I had to do another method with the Chemiclen to defeat it but (lol) I'm not posting it because people do not follow directions!!!!

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  7. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

:DFreddy I needed this, this morning when I was asking the same question :)

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    120reefkeeper and GoVols like this.
  8. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

I'm just not aware of any reason to wait between antibiotic doses. I've used erythromycin, but have not needed more than a dose at a time.

jsker and 120reefkeeper like this.
  9. GoVols

GoVols GRUMORS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yes,
    Keep your aeration up, do your 20% water change and treat again. :)

RickG likes this.
  10. 120reefkeeper

I've never used erythromycin so I'm not sure if it's a lot different than chemiclean. From what I understand Boyd enterprises claims that chemiclean is not erythromycin. This is part of the unknown that I'm talking about.

I know this...... chemiclean works. :)

GoVols likes this.
  11. GoVols

Yes it does work for the right strain but Boyd is very vague about what the active ingredient is.

I personally think that there's an antibiotic in it.

120reefkeeper likes this.
  12. Randy Holmes-Farley

The reason I mentioned it is that is what chemi clean is. They try to hide it, but it has been identified by the government in Germany.

120reefkeeper and GoVols like this.
  13. Randy Holmes-Farley

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-526917.html

from Claude at Fauna Marin:

"We had in germany a big scandal due to this and the product was analyzed by the veterany office of Hannover
    and they showed that this product is erythromycine sulfate .. this is a antibiotics whic normaly only a doctor can give up
    due to the usage in this case and this ammounts the possibilitly of unwanted resistance is very big "

14. GoVols

I've read it before and if I'm not wrong then it's not allowed in certain countries.

15. 120reefkeeper

Great info Randy, thanks for sharing! :)

GoVols likes this.
  16. AdamNC

AdamNC Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I've used it back to back with no issues. Just keep aeration going, 20-25% water change in between and turn off your lights on the second treatment.

Draft saved Draft deleted