chemi clean question

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, i had a cyano outbreak and used some chemi clean. Most of it is gone from my tank with just a few patches remaining. Was wondering if to a 20% water change first and then do one more treatment. Thanks in advance guys

OP
OP
RickG

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest doing the 20% WC and run carbon for a week . Then if needed do again but I wouldn't do them back to back that fast.

I was thinking that it might be to fast, ill end up doing that! No signs of stress on the fish so far and I dont have any corals yet, also aerating the water. Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest doing the 20% WC and run carbon for a week . Then if needed do again but I wouldn't do them back to back that fast.

What's the rationale for not doing multiple treatments in quick succession?

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My rationale is nothing happens fast in reefing.

I take it you have a different opinion?? Have you used chemiclean in quick succession with success?

I have no scientific data to back up my point of view. I've used this product before and never had an issue but I do follow the directions to the letter. I've seen other reefers crash their tanks using it though usually because they didn't follow the directions. I always error on the side of caution. I'd much rather see someone be cautious then go into the unknown blindly.

My above recommendation is real world experience on my part. I have done it this way with success. :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did six treatments in a row with 20% water changes every 48 hours before each treatment with purigen reactor offline and took off skimmer cup and just let the skimmer go wild to keep aeration going and all went well. :)

That was the worst cyano strain that I ever dealt with and I had to do another method with the Chemiclen to defeat it but (lol) I'm not posting it because people do not follow directions!!!!

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did six treatments in a row with 20% water changes every 48 hours before each treatment with purigen reactor offline and took off skimmer cup and just let the skimmer go wild to keep aeration going and all went well. :)
:DFreddy I needed this, this morning when I was asking the same question :)

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rationale is nothing happens fast in reefing.

I take it you have a different opinion?? Have you used chemiclean in quick succession with success?

I'm just not aware of any reason to wait between antibiotic doses. I've used erythromycin, but have not needed more than a dose at a time.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, i had a cyano outbreak and used some chemi clean. Most of it is gone from my tank with just a few patches remaining. Was wondering if to a 20% water change first and then do one more treatment. Thanks in advance guys
Yes,
Keep your aeration up, do your 20% water change and treat again. :)

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used erythromycin so I'm not sure if it's a lot different than chemiclean. From what I understand Boyd enterprises claims that chemiclean is not erythromycin. This is part of the unknown that I'm talking about.

I know this...... chemiclean works. :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes it does work for the right strain but Boyd is very vague about what the active ingredient is.

I personally think that there's an antibiotic in it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used erythromycin so I'm not sure if it's a lot different than chemiclean. From what I understand Boyd enterprises claims that chemiclean is not erythromycin. This is part of the unknown that I'm talking about.

The reason I mentioned it is that is what chemi clean is. They try to hide it, but it has been identified by the government in Germany.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-526917.html

from Claude at Fauna Marin:

"We had in germany a big scandal due to this and the product was analyzed by the veterany office of Hannover
and they showed that this product is erythromycine sulfate .. this is a antibiotics whic normaly only a doctor can give up
due to the usage in this case and this ammounts the possibilitly of unwanted resistance is very big "

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read it before and if I'm not wrong then it's not allowed in certain countries.

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-526917.html

from Claude at Fauna Marin:

"We had in germany a big scandal due to this and the product was analyzed by the veterany office of Hannover
and they showed that this product is erythromycine sulfate .. this is a antibiotics whic normaly only a doctor can give up
due to the usage in this case and this ammounts the possibilitly of unwanted resistance is very big "

Great info Randy, thanks for sharing! :)

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it back to back with no issues. Just keep aeration going, 20-25% water change in between and turn off your lights on the second treatment.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back