jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an aussie question = we being metric i m having troubles with the dosage

Could someone with better MATHS that i do help

I have an 80 litre QT tank and i would like to dosage rate in grams for. Please note that i Conduct 40litre water changes

15mg/l
30mg/l
and the maximum does
80mg/l

i hope this is not to much trouble and would really appriceate your assistance
It's 10-15mg/l.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we know of any long term problems with CP? I know that copper treated fish don't usually live long, but how about CP?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we know of any long term problems with CP? I know that copper treated fish don't usually live long, but how about CP?

Not enough data on that. However, I treated some fish with Chloroquine 10+ years ago that are still in captivity. @alprazo probably has long-term experience with Chloroquine treated fish as well.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you say copper treated fish don't usually live long?
What's the longest you have had a copper treated fish?

I can't even get a response on this thread.

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had a fish die yet after copper treatment but have only been doing a quarantine for several months. All fish at my LFS are in copper during the time they have them so I guess I can say my oldest fish is about 4 years old.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What's the longest you have had a copper treated fish?

My GSM clowns were treated with copper nearly 20 years ago and they are still with me.
I had a Coral Beauty angel that was treated with copper that lived 14 years before it died. ( Looked like possible bowel obstruction)

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have CP treated fish going on over 3 years. Haven't seen any negative changes in the fish. Also I believe it is a myth that copper treated fish don't live as long.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a purple tang that was treated with copper when first got it. I had it about 10 years before moving it to a new home.

I am not aware of any evidence that copper treated fish live shorter lifespans than their non treated counterparts.

Last edited:

cmantis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience doesn't mess with too many corals (prolly SP's and def nems). Snails usually don't fair well but crabs OK. Warren let's talk man wanna tell ya what I been up to.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate is reef safe.... i dose mine when needed. Theres plenty of youtube vids of others doing the same.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate is absolutely not reef safe. At a therapeutic levels it will kill most of the bacteria in your system leading to an ammonia spike. CP is also lethal to many inverts.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate is absolutely not reef safe. At a therapeutic levels it will kill most of the bacteria in your system leading to an ammonia spike. CP is also lethal to many inverts.

You are correct that it is not reef safe and will kill inverts. But it does not effect the nitrifying bacteria. It is an algaecide which could cause die off and that could overwhelm your biological filter.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does displace bacteria in an established system, I have seen it myself when adding CP to an established QT system. I was using pharmaceutical grade CP though, so might be purer than most available.

Last edited:

Onajoyride

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 tangs and I'm about to start treatment using CP in my qt. Unfortunately one of the tangs is blue hippo. Is there a dosage adjustment I can make to still get the job done without having to get rid of the blue? It looks like a couple spots of ich on my purple and since they have all been in the same water I'm wanting to treat them all. Any help is appreciated.
@Humblefish

Back