Chocolate chip sea star

Saltwatertaylor

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2011
Messages
532
Reaction score
2
Location
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know much about these. My girlfriend continually begs me to put a baby one in my 14g nano cube. I was wondering if anyone has every had one, and if so what are the tank requirements. I understand it wont be able to stay in a 14g forever, so once it gets too big, I will transfer it to my 120g. Any information on them is greatly appreciated. Pics would also be nice :)
 
Don't know about requirements but I have heard they aren't reef safe.
 
I buy them every two weeks but that dang Harlequin keeps eating em...

:xd:
 
My understanding is they are pretty low maintenance as long as you get a healthy one and properly acclimate them. Just slip a little meaty food under a leg once in a while and keep your parameters steady and they are good to go. They can get big though. One at my LFS was about 8 inches or so. Thats a big coral eating machine.
 
Any starfish that doesn't eat corals? All I have is frogspawn and zoas.

Brittle starfish, serpentstars, Linkia are reefsafe (and reef-likely-to-die), some tilestarfish are good too...look at fromia species.
 
Linkia and serpent stars are considered reef safe. Linkias generally don't do well for most people though
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 30.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new