choosing a light

ken casteel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello
I'm looking for a recommendation on a light for my sps tank. I would like to hang my light about 10" above the tank to allow easy access to the internal filter and skimmer. the light i have now lights up the floor more then the water, so I'm looking for a light that emits a narrower beam, all the lights I've been seeing have a 120 deg beam. my tank is 55gal long, so 48"l x 15"w x 20"h. any advise would be appreciated.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello
I'm looking for a recommendation on a light for my sps tank. I would like to hang my light about 10" above the tank to allow easy access to the internal filter and skimmer. the light i have now lights up the floor more then the water, so I'm looking for a light that emits a narrower beam, all the lights I've been seeing have a 120 deg beam. my tank is 55gal long, so 48"l x 15"w x 20"h. any advise would be appreciated.
Check out the BRS videos on lights because they always have suggested heights for the most uniform light intensity across the tank. But I think they're usually looking at 24" wide. So if your tank is 15" wide, you'll see more spillover than you'd like.

What lights are you using now?

OP
OP
K

ken casteel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a coralife marine 48" light bar, its ment to sit ontop of the tank so when I raise it up it turns into a flood light

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a coralife marine 48" light bar, its ment to sit ontop of the tank so when I raise it up it turns into a flood light
I‘m guessing that most fixtures will have 120 degree LEDs now. Maybe you can find a way to easily raise your lights when you need to service the tank and then drop them back down. Plenty of amazing ideas on this site.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the budget like? Kessils have the narrow beam reflector that could work and probably help direct the light straight down, might have to dim them a bit though

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also orphek or3 bars i think let you choose the angle on the leds either 60 or 90 degrees

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back