Clam and Goby question

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a clam. Not entirely sure if it's Crocea or Maxima, got mixed results when I asked for an ID on here a while back. Anyway, I don't think it matters in this case. I've had the clam a few months and it's been doing great. I added a little neon goby a couple weeks ago and he's decided to take up residence in the clam. I actually think it's pretty cool but the clam hasn't been opening up as much as it had been before this and I'm wondering if that's any cause for concern. Other than the fact that it's not opening as big as it was it looks fine.

This picture from a couple weeks ago shows him a little more open than he has been in the last week.

File Sep 27, 11 11 32 AM.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Crocea to me, if not than a hybrid.

The goby really should not adversely affect the clam unless he/she is also nipping the mantle.

There are numerous post of clowns residing on the clam and in some cases in the clam without issue. I have seen hawk fish perch on clams as well without issue.

If possible post a top down image, check for Pyramid snails as well.

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Crocea to me, if not than a hybrid.

The goby really should not adversely affect the clam unless he/she is also nipping the mantle.

There are numerous post of clowns residing on the clam and in some cases in the clam without issue. I have seen hawk fish perch on clams as well without issue.

If possible post a top down image, check for Pyramid snails as well.

Thanks, I'll try to remember to take one and post it. Is it possible for pyramid snails to show up out of the blue or do they have to come in on another clam?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pyramids can come in on larger snail types. Pyramids are also parasitic to snails such as Turbos. They look like a grain of rice so they are fairly easy to ID.

Pyramids will be found at the base of clam during the day. At night the Pyramids move up the shell to stick their proboscis into the mantle of the clam.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back