clam hosting clown

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my derasa clam is hosting one of my clowns, does not seem to be bothering the clam but its making me nervous, should I be worried ?

20170803_174311.jpg

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had our 12in squamosa clam host our lightning maroon and it seemed fine at first. After about a month we noticed our clam not opening as much and just seemed irritated. We caught the clown and put him in another tank and the clam almost immediately was back fully open. I would say it's not worth the risk IMO.

OP
OP
Eddie7144

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have another tank,so how do I stop him from going there ??

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could make a box out of plastic canvas which can be found at hobby stores/on line and some comes with .25" openings. That might encourage your clown to move on once he realizes he can't reach the clam, particularly if you had something else he could host. If some barrier like this doesn't work, you may have to choose which to keep, clam or clown.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mistake we made was putting in a anemone and thinking when we added the clownfish, he would find it but he found the clam first. If you don't mind an anemone in your tank then I suggest buying one. Put it in a container and putting the clownfish in there with the anemone. It's no guarantee it will work but I read that people have success with it. We couldn't because ours attached to a rock and did not want to hurt it by trying to remove it. Make sure you acclimate the anemone first to your tank water and take a small rock to attach to in the container. You want to also make sure you have plenty of oxygen. Some people have used a small powerhead or a air stone. Caution on the powerhead as the anemone can easily get sucked in if not attached and shredded. Some people have success in just a hour or two. Then you add them together in the tank and he should stay with its host. Be on the look out if the anemone isn't happy he could move and if you have other corals he with sting and kill them. Hope this helps, good luck!

OP
OP
Eddie7144

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 BTA in the tank, but this clown hangs out everywhere else but the nems , it hangs out in my open brain,some large hairy mushrooms i have it even hangs out in a big leather and the clam !

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what ours did! Lol. The bubble tip was 6 inches away from the clam. Ended up removing the clownfish into another tank and in 4 days it found the nem in there. Go figure......

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a 5" Squamosa that way. Clown eventually ripped the mantle, no more clam. Time for some remedial clownfish education. I'd pull the clown, put him in a breeder box with a BTA... and hope.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 years is a long time and they look happy. Just takes one time for tragedy to strike the clam or the fish so I'd always stay on the side of caution. Nice squamosa you have there.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a White Wyoming clown, no problem without an anemone. I put a frogspawn in a prior tank, she wanted nothing to do with it. I do have a red Hawaiian anemone everything stays away from, it's very sticky , small size, doesn't travel, my kind of anemone. I've had it through two tank crashes, one actually crashed overnight all water was on floor, due to bottom of tank cracking. Big loss and disaster. It's a survivor of 8 yrs so far.

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks chuck!!!! I really appreciate it. I live in Florida and had a big scare with the hurricane. Had the tank on generator and pumping O2 from a scuba tank for four days.
We over here in Utah have been praying for Texas and Florida! God speed and hopefully everyone can get back to their lives as quickly as possible.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back