Clam ID PLS

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I have a new clam that I picked up from the LFS. I wanted to know if anyone could help me ID it. I currently have it sitting in a rock at the middle of the tank near some hammers that are thriving. I think this clam might be a crocea.
64018B96-8FEF-459A-8EF4-92C30E0AD0CD.jpeg
33BD7F70-A188-4C0A-A6F0-ECEA8A931617.jpeg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taken from Tidal Gardens:
Maximas and Croceas are very similar in appearance and often confused to. The difference in the two is that maxima clams are slightly elongated in shape while croceas are more stout and stubby.

That tank looks very new. Chances of clam survival is low IMO. Smaller clams will also require supplemental feeding until they are large enough to survive on photosynthesis. Usually around 3" in size.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with T-J, you'll need to dose phyto, preferably live, for that clam to have a chance. The tank does not appear established.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to feed a baby clam that can't rely heavily on photosynthesis like an older one can in a tank with bare base rock that isn't established?...recipe for a dead clam.
Clams don't need feeding after day 3 in their lives when they acquired symbiotic zooxanthellae. This is a fact and I don't want to argue about fact. Do your own research. On the other hand, putting a clam in an unestablished tank is not going to work regardless. Dumping phyto/ other food in an unestablished tank could potentially crash it

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clams don't need feeding after day 3 in their lives when they acquired symbiotic zooxanthellae. This is a fact and I don't want to argue about fact. Do your own research. On the other hand, putting a clam in an unestablished tank is not going to work regardless. Dumping phyto/ other food in an unestablished tank could potentially crash it

Couldn’t agree more. The whole clams need phyto myth needs to go away, permanently. Btw, to those who are new to clams (and even veteran keepers) you can buy books by Daniel Knop and James Fatherree used on Amazon for next to nothing. Both hard cover books in excellent condition can be had for mere dollars. I lost both of these books in a move and I paid less than $40 for both. James’ book was from a library and I don’t think it was ever read by anyone.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t agree more. The whole clams need phyto myth needs to go away, permanently. Btw, to those who are new to clams (and even veteran keepers) you can buy books by Daniel Knop and James Fatherree used on Amazon for next to nothing. Both hard cover books in excellent condition can be had for mere dollars. I lost both of these books in a move and I paid less than $40 for both. James’ book was from a library and I don’t think it was ever read by anyone.
Those are all excellent books !!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those are all excellent books !!
It’s funny how books are overlooked for today’s reefers, yet there’s so much good information in there. Granted, some things are outdated, but the fundamentals really haven’t changed, in fact, I think a lot has been lost to these “Internet reefers”. I’m sorry to say, but five years of reefing doesn’t qualify you as a veteran in this hobby, nor does give you enough time to give advice either. Sorry, not trying to be the “get off my lawn” guy, but I see so much bad advice given by people who barely have experience and are only regurgitating other reefers comments. Rant over.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to ID for sure without extension but looks to be a maxima, perhaps wild collected since the scutes are worn off.

fwiw I have raised maxima and crocea from 3/4” without dosing phyto. That’s pretty much as small as any clam you’re going to find for sale.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny how books are overlooked for today’s reefers, yet there’s so much good information in there. Granted, some things are outdated, but the fundamentals really haven’t changed, in fact, I think a lot has been lost to these “Internet reefers”. I’m sorry to say, but five years of reefing doesn’t qualify you as a veteran in this hobby, nor does give you enough time to give advice either. Sorry, not trying to be the “get off my lawn” guy, but I see so much bad advice given by people who barely have experience and are only regurgitating other reefers comments. Rant over.
For your information, I've been reefing for nearly 30 years, have owned numerous clams of several species and there's no doubt in my mind that young clams fare far better with supplemental feeding than on photosynthesis alone. I'm speaking from personal experience, not books and certainly not the internet. Many reefers who have had bad luck with young clams have seen a noticeable improvement in success rates with supplemental feeding. You'll find a number ot threads on here with their sucess stories. So take your 5 year "Internet reefer" comment and shove it.

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For your information, I've been reefing for nearly 30 years, have owned numerous clams of several species and there's no doubt in my mind that young clams fare far better with supplemental feeding than on photosynthesis alone. I'm speaking from personal experience, not books and certainly not the internet. Many reefers who have had bad luck with young clams have seen a noticeable improvement in success rates with supplemental feeding. You'll find a number ot threads on here with their sucess stories. So take your 5 year "Internet reefer" comment and shove it.
This wasn’t meant for you, I was merely making an observation in general. And to the point with supplemental feeding, was it proven to actually help? They (clams) do filter feed, but that portion of their diet/intake doesn’t sustain them, nor provide enough energy to make them grow. Also, if I were to engage someone here directly, I would tag them or use a direct quote in my response. I’m here to help and to learn (sometimes a teacher, forever a student) and by no means am I here to insult fellow hobbyists, but I’m not going to help perpetuate myths or let misleading advice go without knowing the truth. Does phyto help? Yes, but it can’t sustain them, that’s the reality and here’s an article which helps to explain the process for those who are interested. Clam feeding
My apologies @Isopod80, my comments were never directed towards you, I was merely making an observation about the hobby in general (as I stated earlier), 40+ years keeping things in glass boxes has left a few scars, but I’m still here and will be for a long time. For me, it’s about the animals that we keep and their well-being, that’s the most important thing to me.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that phytoplankton won't sustain them but light alone won't either, ideally. There's a reason that after millions of years of evolution, these animals still filter feed as well as photosynthesize. Can you keep a healthy clam in an established tank with proper lighting without supplemental feeding? Yes, because it's still being supplementally fed by the other inhabitants in the tank as well as photosynthesizing. Clams actually feed more heavily on bacteria then phyto anyway. It's not a coincidence that many reefers have had lower success rates keeping young clams in new tanks as opposed to established ones even though the lighting was the same. The conversation started because it looked like the OP was keeping a young clam in a brand new tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back