Clam Suddenly Gaping

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Hope you can help me with this. My clam is suddenly gaping after being mostly fine. A couple weeks ago he came off his rock he'd been attached to for about 5 years, but I put him back on it and he seemed happy enough, mantel extended and everything. This morning he is not looking well.

What can I do to help him recover? Can he recover?

I moved him from the bottom of the tank to the top just in case that would help him, he did close up when I moved him and then he reopened, so he's still at least somewhat alive in there.

Tank stats:
Established: 7 years
Clam age: 5 years (after I bought him as 2.5")
Temp: 78F
Alk: 11 (trident)
Ca: 450 (trident)
Mg: 1461(trident)
Nitrate: 37ppm (hanna high range)
PO4: .77ppm (hanna ulr)
Ammonia: 0ppm (API)
Salinity: 35ppt

Those nitrate and phosphate levels may seem high, but after a multiyear struggle with dinos that is what they stabilized at, they've been at those levels for over a year now.

I run the triton method, so this tank has not seen a water change in a couple of months, ICP test done a couple weeks ago points to everything being in balance. No odd behavior from any tank inhabitants, everyone else is healthy and happy. Getting strong coral growth in my zoas and leathers.

2023-02-23 11.29.17.jpg 2023-02-23 11.29.25.jpg 2023-02-23 11.29.36.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the clam is dead, beyond help. Also, that clam have not been doing well for sometime with no new growth. Maybe you new method may not be good enough to keep clams, if this is a new method for you, especially if you had him growing for 5 years prior to this new method. Good luck

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree, it hasn't been growing for some time. Lighting change? Also, I would up your CUC to tend with the algae you have going on. I would also suggest another method, doesn't seem like there's a good balance going on in your system.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back