Clam Won’t Open

Azfarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a couple saltwater tanks set up for a couple years now. But about a week ago, we recused a large amount of coral, a clam, and an eel. But the clam seems to not want to open all the way. We have all the coral and the clam in our rescue tank and everyone else seems to be doing fine. Any idea why it may not be happy?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is they are very finicky to changes in the parameters of the water . What are your parameters ie: temp , pho’s., nitrates, cal ,mag , alk, . Current could be a issue , the eel could be bothering it , too much or too little light . My bet is there’s something with the parameters that he doesn’t like .

OP
OP
Azfarsh

Azfarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are going to get the levels checked tomorrow. But there is just one shrimp in the tank with the clam and other coral. The eel, we gave to a friend with a 300 gallon tank.
Here is another picture of the clam. It’s a bit more open today.
Anyone know what kind it is?

Attachments

• E63C7D3A-14CD-43D8-9D29-44B6481DF8AB.jpeg
    E63C7D3A-14CD-43D8-9D29-44B6481DF8AB.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 60

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a T. maxima from the looks of it in second picture. It will need lots of light and not to be bothered. Looks like it is adapting. Make sure the shrimp does not bother it too much. They can be a pain in settling clams.

OP
OP
Azfarsh

Azfarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! We’re doing more research on it now and we’re going to get it some phytoplankton as well. In a span is 15 minutes, I saw the clam open and close. Is this normal?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not target feed a large clam like that with phyto. I would trust PEA's recommendations. I would consider feeding it to just be an irritation.

We do not recommend supplemental feeding. Clams get nutrition from photosynthesis and utilizing dissolved organics not supplemental foods.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep things stable. How long will it be in that tank? What is the lighting over it and what par is it at? What lighting was it under in the original tank?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stable water parameters and no direct feeding. Could irritate it. When they open and close it is normal. They react to light through the eyes on the mantle. So if something swims around it or over it (blocks light) it should react with closing.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back