clean-up crew

Tarilynnlynn

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2018
Messages
8
Reaction score
26
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what would be a good clean-up crew for a new 20 gallon Nano tank?
 
Check our reefcleaners.

They have a nice chart for sizing your CUC.

I always start off w half the size recommended and add to it.
 
And welcome to R2R! You should introduce yourself in the meet and greet forum!

Any pics of your tank?

We love pics here.
 
I was wondering what would be a good clean-up crew for a new 20 gallon Nano tank?

Welcome to the forum! I personally like a mix of Cerith and Trochus snails. Both can flip themselves over and between the two take care of most algaes and detritus. I like to have a few Dwarf hermit crabs too, but some find them a nuisance.

EDIT, I would probably add Nassarius if I had sand as well.



 
Last edited:
Welcome to R2R! Getting the clean up crew was one of the funnest parts of getting my tank, finally some life! I have a mix of 4 hermits (red and blue legged), 2 cerith snails, 3 trochus snails, and 2 nassarius snails, and a conch (not sure what kind) in my 40 gallon. Each one has their own little job, conch sifts sand and helps with algaes on sand/low rock, cerith cruise everywhere and eat algae, nassarius eat left over food that makes it to the sand bed, trochus eat algae on the glass, and I just find the hermits to be fun to watch...
 
keep in mind that each new critter you add to your tank will affect the balance. A new tank will get out of balance easier and take longer to get back to equilibrium - and same with a nano. take your time, if you have LFS you can save on shipping and stagger adding them to your tank.
 
One thing I’ll add is to think about your fish as potential clean up crew. Ever since I put a pictus blenny and Rainford goby in my 10
Gallon my hair algae is gone and actually seems useful to me as a food for the fish. (I also have 2 torchus snails, a Cerith, 3 blue legged hermits and a nassurius). My cleaner shrimp is also a pig and amazing at eating detritus and left over food
 
the thing I would caution about with reefcleaners, is take the package 3 sizes down from your tank.

for my 120, I would take the 55 gallon. Given that I have a barebottom setup, I only use trochus/cerith snails.
 
the thing I would caution about with reefcleaners, is take the package 3 sizes down from your tank.

for my 120, I would take the 55 gallon. Given that I have a barebottom setup, I only use trochus/cerith snails.

Agree. I recommended above as well to start off at 1/2.

Then add stuff as the need arises.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new