jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have 6 hermits and 1 mexican turbo snail in my 32g and they are definitely not able to keep up! I was thinking:
5 Astraea Turbos
5 Super Tongan Nassarius
5 red dwarf hermits
5 blue dwarf hermits
Is this too much? Too little? Good mix? any suggestions help!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always recommend the same thing to everyone. Go to reefcleaners.org and get a package for roughly half your tank size. Good diversity and prices.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t like hermits in my tank because they’ll mess with corals and I have too many corals lol. I have a 29gal and have 13 astrea snails and 3 pretty big turbos. They keep my rocks clean and I scrape my glass when I remember. I had a sea hare for about 6 weeks that took down the bulk of my algae that I had when I let the tank go but my crew is maintaining it now

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t like hermits in my tank because they’ll mess with corals and I have too many corals lol. I have a 29gal and have 13 astrea snails and 3 pretty big turbos. They keep my rocks clean and I scrape my glass when I remember. I had a sea hare for about 6 weeks that took down the bulk of my algae that I had when I let the tank go but my crew is maintaining it now
sounds good! My hermits are constantly climbing up my corals like trees... I chose to incorporate astraeas because I heard they do really well on rocks and it looks like they do! thank you

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always recommend the same thing to everyone. Go to reefcleaners.org and get a package for roughly half your tank size. Good diversity and prices.
Will do for sure, definitely cheap. Do you quarantine your inverts? and if so, how long?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good! My hermits are constantly climbing up my corals like trees... I chose to incorporate astraeas because I heard they do really well on rocks and it looks like they do! thank you
And they’re cheap :) cheapest snail I can get locally at $1 a piece lol

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have lot of rock in your tank? Do you have high nutrient levels? If you have high nitrate and phosphate you'll have a hard time staying ahead of algae no matter what you have for CUC. If you have a fair amount of rock as well your crew has a lot more surface to clean. Having said that, you have a good start but I'm a fan of keeping it simple and would keep adding blue-leg hermits. For massive amounts of GHA nothing beats a Mexican turbo snail.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have lot of rock in your tank? Do you have high nutrient levels? If you have high nitrate and phosphate you'll have a hard time staying ahead of algae no matter what you have for CUC. If you have a fair amount of rock as well your crew has a lot more surface to clean. Having said that, you have a good start but I'm a fan of keeping it simple and would keep adding blue-leg hermits. For massive amounts of GHA nothing beats a Mexican turbo snail.
I kid you not, my mexican turbo mowed through an entire bush of GHA last week.. I just want a solid crew because I’m getting a couple more fish pretty soon.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
-Turbo for algae
-trochus for algae/hair algae/cyano
- Margarita for cyano
- cerith for cyano

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making an assumption but are you running a biocube? If so we have the same tank. That is WAY too many hermits. I have 5 in mine total. 3xblue legs, 1 zebra hermit (I found him half dead in a used tank I bought), and 1 massive scarlet hermit. I might have 50 snails in there though. My nassarius breed like rabbits, I put 5 in prolly have 15 now. I have 10 (at least) astrea snails and arpund 20-25 dwarf cerith snails. Oh and a sand sifting conch. And a turbo snail of some type I’ve never seen who frequently buries himself.

i woildnt get another hermit of any type. I personally love cerith snails. They’re the best snail honestly as they’ll eat anything algea related. And they burrow so they clean your sand. If I were you I’d do the nassarius you thought about, a few astrea, and a whole lot of cerith snails. Nothing beats ceriths. They reproduce in my tank, eat red slime, maul gha, and burrow so the hermits rarely can bother them.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Margaritas don’t live long enough for me where they’re cold water snails. Always wanted to see a cold water reef cause I love those guys though.
I have 7 for almost 11 months in 78deg temp- doing great

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 for almost 11 months in 78deg temp- doing great
Wow! I’ve never been able to get them to live longer than 5-6 months for me. Did you get small ones by any chance? I got some on a trip with my wife for 1$/snail they said were small margaritas that have lasted me a whole

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow! I’ve never been able to get them to live longer than 5-6 months for me. Did you get small ones by any chance? I got some on a trip with my wife for 1$/snail they said were small margaritas that have lasted me a whole
Yes, about diameter of a dime

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making an assumption but are you running a biocube? If so we have the same tank. That is WAY too many hermits. I have 5 in mine total. 3xblue legs, 1 zebra hermit (I found him half dead in a used tank I bought), and 1 massive scarlet hermit. I might have 50 snails in there though. My nassarius breed like rabbits, I put 5 in prolly have 15 now. I have 10 (at least) astrea snails and arpund 20-25 dwarf cerith snails. Oh and a sand sifting conch. And a turbo snail of some type I’ve never seen who frequently buries himself.

i woildnt get another hermit of any type. I personally love cerith snails. They’re the best snail honestly as they’ll eat anything algea related. And they burrow so they clean your sand. If I were you I’d do the nassarius you thought about, a few astrea, and a whole lot of cerith snails. Nothing beats ceriths. They reproduce in my tank, eat red slime, maul gha, and burrow so the hermits rarely can bother them.
Yeah I really want more snails instead of hermits, I just didn’t realize you can find good ones for cheap.

Back