Cleaning filter socks (septic safe)

Hey so brand new to saltwater. This might sound dumb but trying to be water efficient. When cleaning filter socks do you run them in the washing machine by themselves and using a specific soap or bleach or are you potentially cleaning them with other items
 
Hey so brand new to saltwater. This might sound dumb but trying to be water efficient. When cleaning filter socks do you run them in the washing machine by themselves and using a specific soap or bleach or are you potentially cleaning them with other items
Don’t wash anything else with the socks.

Never use any soaps. You can use plain, unscented bleach with no surfactants added or hydrogen peroxide, but another option is just plain water.

Allow the socks to fully air dry before using them if you used bleach.
 
Hey so brand new to saltwater. This might sound dumb but trying to be water efficient. When cleaning filter socks do you run them in the washing machine by themselves and using a specific soap or bleach or are you potentially cleaning them with other items

Socks alone unless you want nasty clothes. I usually have extra so I'm not washing just 1 or 2. I turn them inside out rinse with a hose to try and get most solids out. Wash in hot water with just a splash of bleach, no soap. When done I turn them back right side out and run thru an extra rinse cycle. That's how i did them. Now I use mesh socks and I can clean them with just a garden hose.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new