Cleaning Filter Socks With Pressure Washer

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blast them with the hose and a high pressure nozzle, inside and out. Then soak them in about 1 gallon of water with a capfull of 36% peroxide over night. Nice and white. Then hang dry and they are ready to go. Been doing this for several years now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I machine wash in warm water. Have washed dozens of 4" socks with no issue. The last TWO 7" ones I washed got ripped up in the machine ? ? ? ? ?
I just bought 3 mesh type from BRS as I feel they would be easy to hand clean or wash in " Gentle cycle".

Try'nNotToKillStuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a pressure washer for a few years and didn't know it was a thing. I turn mine inside out first. It is kind of gross because you have to stick your hand inside the gunk, but I guessed that it would get more out faster that way. I haven't bothered with vinegar or bleaching. I just spray them out and then let dry in the sun. My socks will last about a year before they start looking beat up.

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a pressure washer for a few years and didn't know it was a thing.

Me neither. That’s why I decided to write this up.

I haven't bothered with vinegar or bleaching. I just spray them out and then let dry in the sun. My socks will last about a year before they start looking beat up

Agreed, I don’t really think it’s necessary to bleach it as long as it comes out clean.

Cheche

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the I read this here I think I will add some bleach to my watching machine.. my lfs told me to add bleach and I laugh.. I said I don’t even put my hands inside my fish tank with out rinsing with ro/di water not even from the tap .. lol but that is me been extra paranoid.. thx for the info.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 40 filter socks. I swap the two out every 4 days.

I put them in a bucket of RO water that has a capful or so of clorox in it to keep the smell down.

When I am out of clean ones, I let the tank run two days without socks on purpose and run all mine through the washer with about 1/4 of a normal load of bleach on extra large load, hot water.

They look nearly new and I am on the 4th wash.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the I read this here I think I will add some bleach to my watching machine.. my lfs told me to add bleach and I laugh.. I said I don’t even put my hands inside my fish tank with out rinsing with ro/di water not even from the tap .. lol but that is me been extra paranoid.. thx for the info.
If you use bleach I would use an extra rinse cycle if your washer can do it, and then let them dry. Even letting them sit for 2 or 3 days before using will degrade most of the bleaches oxidizing potential.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m a powerwasher to clean filter socks guy too! I spend about 2 hours cleaning them outside then inside. It’s a pain in the butt to flip then inside out sometimes but it’s necessary!

After I power wash then I use the washing machine to bleach then rinse them. That looks like this
1) use tub sinks next to washing machine to rinse out the soap dispensing tray of the machine. Spray the barrel of the machine as well.
2) run a ‘quick’ cycle of the washing machine with nothing inside
3) put socks in washing machine with bleach then run heavy duty machine cycle
4) use hose again but this time i spray the socks.
5) run a ‘quick’ cycle in the machine with nothing but water
6) turn the socks right-side out and add Prime to the machine for ammonia neutralization. Run another quick wash.
7) remove socks from washer and give them a rinse in a can with 10ish gallons of RO.
8) go outside and shake them out. They can hold a bunch of water....
9) dry socks in the sun.

Many of these socks are over years old! Some are more damaged than others but they all work.

I have a lot of socks in a lot of variety. Some homemade, some mesh, some felt... several different brands and microns (3 tanks). Lately I’ve been using more mesh socks and rinsing them. Sometimes I use one mesh and one felt. I want to stop using filter socks when the time is right.

Here’s a pick of drying day!

93FDFC29-DBAF-4CA2-B201-BC2629007643.jpeg
Ha! Love it!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning Filter Socks With Pressure Washer

Before you try this: Make sure your pressure washer is rated between 1500-2000 psi, I wouldn’t recommend trying this with a pressure washer that is over 2000 psi as this will likely tear your sock apart.

Step 1: Use your pressure washer to clean a spot on your driveway, garage, or wherever you decide to try this method at.
A9DB3DED-5B4A-481E-8697-996304E599B9.jpeg

Step 2: While using it on a “wide” spray, start washing your filter sock from bottom to top thoroughly until it’s clean.
C049C2BC-4113-4503-9A6A-2ECB7D168659.jpeg

Step 3: flip and repeat.

Step 4: turn the sock inside out and repeat step 2 and 3
DF3AD8B3-2EF5-4837-B958-40B9FF2320B0.jpeg

Final thoughts: I can clean two socks in about 10 mins while using this method. Plus no more bleaching and using the wash machine.

I’ve been using this method for over 6 months and still using the same socks.

Hope this helps!

(I originally took videos to show the steps, but I couldn’t figure out how to post them on an article. Sorry about this)

Very cool, thanks for sharing, comrade

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
+1 on the extra rinse and airing them out for a day outside.

I have about 30 socks in rotation, matter of fact, 2 more pairs and they'll be going in for a wash next week.

They always come out looking new. 2 cycles if I have to.

My pressure washer is rated at 3800 PSI and is gas powered - too much hassle to set it up just for socks but clever idea non- the-less.

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the extra rinse and airing them out for a day outside.

I have about 30 socks in rotation, matter of fact, 2 more pairs and they'll be going in for a wash next week.

They always come out looking new. 2 cycles if I have to.

My pressure washer is rated at 3800 PSI and is gas powered - too much hassle to set it up just for socks but clever idea non- the-less.

Agreed. I have a gas powered pressure washer that I use to clean my truck, too. I got my electric one as a gift a few years back and that think is a lot easier to set up.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was so satisfying watching all that clean white area form.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back