Cleaning Filter Socks With Pressure Washer

Cheche

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use bleach I would use an extra rinse cycle if your washer can do it, and then let them dry. Even letting them sit for 2 or 3 days before using will degrade most of the bleaches oxidizing potential.
Thx for the extra info .. I have to do a schedule wc this weekend and I will try this for first time ..

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make you own socks. Buy the felt online and make them. There is a thread on doing so.

Corey
I have a bunch of handmade socks that I wash using the powerwasher then washing method. Mine are double walled with various sizes (cinch type to go around PVC drains) So far, they have been the first to fall apart under he pressure of the powerwasher. All of my socks have been through at least 5 rigorous cleaning sessions. I do not agree with making socks and then just throwing them out after one use. They just end up in the landfill.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't use this method in the winter where I live.
Another reason I switched to nylon mesh socks instead. Used reguler felt socks for a long time and couldn't rinse them off during the winter using the garden hose, so I had to resort to running them through the wash a few extra times. Switched to mesh socks last year and never going back to felt again. I quick rinsing under the sink is all that's needed and they dry quicker also.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
What does one do in Minnesota, middle of January when it's 20 below outside?

One throws them all in a washing machine with a cup of bleach.

Or do first wash to loosen everything with no bleach and another cycle with bleach and extra rinse.

Either method will work in your cozy home, during winter @ 20 below or summer heatwave at 100+

no problem :)

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don’t agree with making them and tossing them either. I was just saying making them is cheaper and you can still get a few good uses out of them.

Corey

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 'review' I didnt mean to be a review - I just meant to reply to the thread lol:). I just rinse mine under high pressure. For me (in a cold weather climate) - hooking up a pressure washer wouldn't work at all for most of the year - so - the next obvious thing - use a high pressure faucet (even your finger against the tap in a laundry tub) - would work just as well - with no equipment hoses, etc etc. If I lived IN FL - - yeah maybe:) I appreciate the article though

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 'review' I didnt mean to be a review - I just meant to reply to the thread lol:). I just rinse mine under high pressure. For me (in a cold weather climate) - hooking up a pressure washer wouldn't work at all for most of the year - so - the next obvious thing - use a high pressure faucet (even your finger against the tap in a laundry tub) - would work just as well - with no equipment hoses, etc etc. If I lived IN FL - - yeah maybe:) I appreciate the article though
100% agree. I’m going to have to use that method also since I live in Ohio. Thanks for some winter suggestions lol

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anyone else want to share some suggestions for cleaning Filter Socks in the winter?
I still and always will place in washer inside out on gentle cycle- No spoap or bleached in warm water and allow to air dry.3
Option B (my new option) is to buy mesh socks. Too easy to clean by hand and done in under 3 minutes.

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still using this method and actually just recently replaced the original filter socks that I used for almost two years, so this method isn't too hard on them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back