Cleaning Filter Socks With Pressure Washer

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning Filter Socks With Pressure Washer

Before you try this: Make sure your pressure washer is rated between 1500-2000 psi, I wouldn’t recommend trying this with a pressure washer that is over 2000 psi as this will likely tear your sock apart.

Step 1: Use your pressure washer to clean a spot on your driveway, garage, or wherever you decide to try this method at.
A9DB3DED-5B4A-481E-8697-996304E599B9.jpeg

Step 2: While using it on a “wide” spray, start washing your filter sock from bottom to top thoroughly until it’s clean.
C049C2BC-4113-4503-9A6A-2ECB7D168659.jpeg

Step 3: flip and repeat.

Step 4: turn the sock inside out and repeat step 2 and 3
DF3AD8B3-2EF5-4837-B958-40B9FF2320B0.jpeg

Final thoughts: I can clean two socks in about 10 mins while using this method. Plus no more bleaching and using the wash machine.

I’ve been using this method for over 6 months and still using the same socks.

Hope this helps!

(I originally took videos to show the steps, but I couldn’t figure out how to post them on an article. Sorry about this)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post all of the videos here since I couldn’t figure out how to do it in the article.

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 4:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bryson.bobby , thanks for posting this. I know I'm not going to be able to find the reference posts that discussed the proper way to clean felt socks, but I'll do my best on what it said. This guy had a microscope where he was able to look at the socks before/after cleaning. What he found was that putting felt socks in a washing machine with bleach, bleached everything white, but did not remove all the organics....he could still see them. He found that the only way to properly clean felt socks was to use a powerwasher.

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bryson.bobby , thanks for posting this. I know I'm not going to be able to find the reference posts that discussed the proper way to clean felt socks, but I'll do my best on what it said. This guy had a microscope where he was able to look at the socks before/after cleaning. What he found was that putting felt socks in a washing machine with bleach, bleached everything white, but did not remove all the organics....he could still see them. He found that the only way to properly clean felt socks was to use a powerwasher.

Very interesting. I will try to find that post. Thanks for sharing!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a great idea. I use a hose with with a nozzle jet to blast my socks right when they come out of the aquarium. I'm too lazy to break out the pressure washer every time. After getting blasted clean in a manner similar to what you do I put them in a bucket until I'm down to my last clean set. Then, into the washing machine with bleach.

Probably not as effective as using a pressure washer but much better than a washing machine alone.

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a powerwasher to clean filter socks guy too! I spend about 2 hours cleaning them outside then inside. It’s a pain in the butt to flip then inside out sometimes but it’s necessary!

After I power wash then I use the washing machine to bleach then rinse them. That looks like this
1) use tub sinks next to washing machine to rinse out the soap dispensing tray of the machine. Spray the barrel of the machine as well.
2) run a ‘quick’ cycle of the washing machine with nothing inside
3) put socks in washing machine with bleach then run heavy duty machine cycle
4) use hose again but this time i spray the socks.
5) run a ‘quick’ cycle in the machine with nothing but water
6) turn the socks right-side out and add Prime to the machine for ammonia neutralization. Run another quick wash.
7) remove socks from washer and give them a rinse in a can with 10ish gallons of RO.
8) go outside and shake them out. They can hold a bunch of water....
9) dry socks in the sun.

Many of these socks are over years old! Some are more damaged than others but they all work.

I have a lot of socks in a lot of variety. Some homemade, some mesh, some felt... several different brands and microns (3 tanks). Lately I’ve been using more mesh socks and rinsing them. Sometimes I use one mesh and one felt. I want to stop using filter socks when the time is right.

Here’s a pick of drying day!

93FDFC29-DBAF-4CA2-B201-BC2629007643.jpeg

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a powerwasher to clean filter socks guy too! I spend about 2 hours cleaning them outside then inside. It’s a pain in the butt to flip then inside out sometimes but it’s necessary!

After I power wash then I use the washing machine to bleach then rinse them. That looks like this
1) use tub sinks next to washing machine to rinse out the soap dispensing tray of the machine. Spray the barrel of the machine as well.
2) run a ‘quick’ cycle of the washing machine with nothing inside
3) put socks in washing machine with bleach then run heavy duty machine cycle
4) use hose again but this time i spray the socks.
5) run a ‘quick’ cycle in the machine with nothing but water
6) turn the socks right-side out and add Prime to the machine for ammonia neutralization. Run another quick wash.
7) remove socks from washer and give them a rinse in a can with 10ish gallons of RO.
8) go outside and shake them out. They can hold a bunch of water....
9) dry socks in the sun.

Many of these socks are over years old! Some are more damaged than others but they all work.

I have a lot of socks in a lot of variety. Some homemade, some mesh, some felt... several different brands and microns (3 tanks). Lately I’ve been using more mesh socks and rinsing them. Sometimes I use one mesh and one felt. I want to stop using filter socks when the time is right.

Here’s a pick of drying day!

93FDFC29-DBAF-4CA2-B201-BC2629007643.jpeg

Holy crap, That’s a lot of Filter Socks! lol

SaleenCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also used this method for years as it works great...the only addition is that after power-washing them, I run them through the quick cycle, in the washer, with vinegar and then air-dry.

The first time I did it was after reading a post similar to this one. I hung them outside afterwards to air-dry and had them hanging on a perimeter wall in front of the AC units.

When my wife came home and pulled into the driveway, she saw them and thought they looked like horse condoms hanging up :p:p:p

RomoFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my wife came home and pulled into the driveway, she saw them and thought they looked like horse condoms hanging up :p:p:p

I had no idea that there such thing as horse condoms so therefore had no idea what they would look like. Thank you for enlightening me! :eek:;Bored

funkytanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this for years also. My only difference in the method is soaking them in bleach first for about 6 hours and then pressure washing. Then sit out in the sun for a day to air dry.

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this for years also. My only difference in the method is soaking them in bleach first for about 6 hours and then pressure washing. Then sit out in the sun for a day to air dry.

I always bleach after. Never thought about bleaching first until now. Might make more sense

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back