clown breeding attempt first timer

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, so my girlfriends been begging me to try and breed our clown fish we have saddle back and ocerellis clown in our mini reef weve had them for months now with an bubble tip anemone that they both hang out in, unfortunately no luck on the eggs yet is it possible something is eating them? or they arent breeding in general?

10gallon tank with few other things living with them, 2 shrimp few snails few hermits watchman goby scooter benny

was told using a flower pot will make them breed inside it but havent attempt it yet would i need a separate tank to breed them in?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m not mistaken, you’re not getting any breeding because your mixing two different types of clowns, I’m surprised you don’t have any aggression.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m not mistaken, you’re not getting any breeding because your mixing two different types of clowns, I’m surprised you don’t have any aggression.
yah im pretty sure they are paired they sleep in the anemone together been together for months now no issues they do the dance aswell

Mwhitedesigns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm how difficult or possible cross breeding species is. Breeding the same species can be hard enough. I would start with a mated pair of the same species.

Last edited:

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree cross breeding would be a long shot. I have two tomato clowns now for 9 years mated pair and they lay eggs monthly. When eggs hatch they go into water column and are either eaten by other fish or nems.

JerseyClowns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, so my girlfriends been begging me to try and breed our clown fish we have saddle back and ocerellis clown in our mini reef weve had them for months now with an bubble tip anemone that they both hang out in, unfortunately no luck on the eggs yet is it possible something is eating them? or they arent breeding in general?

10gallon tank with few other things living with them, 2 shrimp few snails few hermits watchman goby scooter benny

was told using a flower pot will make them breed inside it but havent attempt it yet would i need a separate tank to breed them in?

Cross breeding is going to be a challenge, but not impossible. If you want to give breeding a try, I recommend you purchase a spawning pair from somebody you is looking to get out of the hobby or has too many pairs. I've had some pairs take years to start spawning, and given you choice of clowns, it may never happen.

ChloG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only known cross breeding of species is a percula and ocellaris. Saddle back and ocellaris won’t spawn

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back