Clownfish behavior

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F11BAC91-ED5E-4BD7-9ACF-F587776C9E77.jpeg

I have had my vivid ocellaris in the tank for a bit over a week but I decided it was time for a friend so I got myself a wyoming white ocellaris but I can’t tell what their behavior is like. The wyoming white will follow the vivid all over the tank and slaps his tail against her and sometimes she’ll nip at his fins and slap him. Is this normal pairing behavior or fighting behavior? I confirmed that these two have never been paired before as well.

smacbride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a normal couple of clown fish. One of my mated pair recently died so I replaced her with a new one. The new clown is about 1/2 the size of the existing one which I assume to be the male. They have been together now for about 6 weeks and they still fight on occasion but the little one is able to hold its ground. Most of the time they swim around together and are pretty chill. I think a little back and forth fighting is normal.

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree with @smacbride; they are just figuring out their pecking order and setting the rules between each other. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree with @smacbride; they are just figuring out their pecking order and setting the rules between each other. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Thank you both for the reassurance, I’ve just been worried because the wyoming was quite the large investment for me as a new reefer. @smacbride

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should start doing a shake/vibration/seizure looking dance at some point off and on if they continue to get along as well :) looking good!

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Seems normal...if you see one causing severe damage to the other one then you will need to intervene. Lip locking, shredded fins, abrasions from being constantly chased, etc...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back