Clownfish sick??

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 55gal tank. After cycle was complete, I added two clownfish and 10 hermit crabs. This was 6 days ago. My clownfish’s fins look weird. The look like they have clear growths stuck to the distal ends. From reading other threads I thought it might be lymphosis since there are no other spots on the fish (not on the fins). Any help to what could be wrong and if there is anything I could do. Thank you!!

IMG_0192.jpeg IMG_0191.jpeg IMG_0201.jpeg IMG_0199.jpeg

guiltfreeaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, looks like Lymphocystis. From another thread (link below):

Treatment OptionsNo known cure or treatment exists. However, feeding vitamin-enriched foods and maintaining pristine water conditions may expedite the “going away” process. The lesions/nodules typically clear in 2-3 weeks, but can also take months in rare instances.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,welcome to the reef, lets call some expert help, a short video would help. best wishes...
@Jay Hemdal #fishmedic

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 55gal tank. After cycle was complete, I added two clownfish and 10 hermit crabs. This was 6 days ago. My clownfish’s fins look weird. The look like they have clear growths stuck to the distal ends. From reading other threads I thought it might be lymphosis since there are no other spots on the fish (not on the fins). Any help to what could be wrong and if there is anything I could do. Thank you!!

IMG_0192.jpeg IMG_0191.jpeg IMG_0201.jpeg IMG_0199.jpeg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Lymphocystis is fairly rare in clownfish. This could be that, but the pictures are just not clear enough to say for sure.

Do you see any other symptoms? Rapid respiration rate or lack of appetite?

Jay

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Lymphocystis is fairly rare in clownfish. This could be that, but the pictures are just not clear enough to say for sure.

Do you see any other symptoms? Rapid respiration rate or lack of appetite?

Jay
Hi Jay! Thank you!

I have attached images in a new format so hopefully they will be clearer. I have not seen any rapid respiration and they seem to have an appetite. I have been feeding them frozen food and both will eat at least a few pieces.

They have been staying together inside my rocks in the small area I pointed out in one of the images. I am not sure how much activity is normal for clownfish but they have been rarely leaving their spot under the rocks.

Attachments

• IMG_0197.pdf
    8.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0203.pdf
    983 KB · Views: 38

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay! Thank you!

I have attached images in a new format so hopefully they will be clearer. I have not seen any rapid respiration and they seem to have an appetite. I have been feeding them frozen food and both will eat at least a few pieces.

They have been staying together inside my rocks in the small area I pointed out in one of the images. I am not sure how much activity is normal for clownfish but they have been rarely leaving their spot under the rocks.

Sorry, these pics don't help me much. Remote diagnosis of fish issues is really difficult.

I don't see Lymphocystis here. My next thought is that although clownfish will hang out together, they often bicker when you are not around, and the fin damage may be from that. As long as the fins don't get actual tears in them, that should settle down.

Other than that, I don't see anything treatable here.

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back