Clownfish suddenly fighting after anemone started hosting

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had the same two clownfish in my tank for about 6 months, and they've always coexisted peacefully. I've also had a RBTA in there which neither showed interest in. Well, I recently moved to a new house and used that opportunity to stick the clowns in a Tupperware with the RBTA. I left them in there for a few hours then placed them back in the tank when it was ready.

While not completely hosting, the bigger of the two definitely swims in and out of the RBTA throughout the day and tries to nuzzle up in it at night. The smaller still shows no interest. However, since the bigger clown has paired with the anemone, it has also started bullying the smaller clown. I read online that it can be somewhat innocuous so I left them alone. Well today, about a week later, I've noticed that the smaller clown almost rarely comes out of hiding except to eat and it's fins are looking tattered. It will stay in one place and kind of "wiggle".

Is there hope for these two or do they need to be separated immediately?

The culprit, who is paired with the anemone:

dXfsTFp.jpg

The victim, who hides near the bottom and "wiggles" a lot:

qNuI852.jpg

rockhead51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wiggle is a submission display. Do you know if they have developed into male/female? Maybe mama is just keeping dad at bey until she is properly hosted....

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine had the same aggression issues, he would almost lay on his side under a rock, also had torn up fins. Told my girlfriend I would give it till the Wednesday of that next week, and no more aggression after that weekend. Haven't seen one nip or submission since and it's been about 5 months

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine had the same aggression issues, he would almost lay on his side under a rock, also had torn up fins. Told my girlfriend I would give it till the Wednesday of that next week, and no more aggression after that weekend. Haven't seen one nip or submission since and it's been about 5 months
He learned to shut up and spoon.:)

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I noticed that my Flame Hawkfish joined in on the bullying and made short work of the Clownfish. I moved him to my sump to help him recover but it was a lost cause. He died within a few hours. I guess this is what I get for getting my female to pair with my RBTA. Animals can be so unpredictable as they had previously lived peacefully for 6 months. This is the fourth fish my Hawkfish has killed. :mad:

x0NjMzx.jpg

4ukuYVG.jpg

vd3g0wN.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw man , thats awful....
mine went through the squabbling phase and aggression, but eventually she let him in to the nem

corals.la

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I noticed that my Flame Hawkfish joined in on the bullying and made short work of the Clownfish. I moved him to my sump to help him recover but it was a lost cause. He died within a few hours. I guess this is what I get for getting my female to pair with my RBTA. Animals can be so unpredictable as they had previously lived peacefully for 6 months. This is the fourth fish my Hawkfish has killed. :mad:

x0NjMzx.jpg

4ukuYVG.jpg

vd3g0wN.jpg
This is SO hearbreaking! My pair of snowflake clowns were getting along so well until we brought in a Skittles Anemone to the tank. They're about the same size compared to each other but one of them has started terrorizing the other. I feel so bad for the other fish. It even tries hiding under a rock but the hosting clown sees it across the 30 gal. tank and JETS towards it. I'm not seeing injuries yet but it never comes out, except to eat, anymore. It makes me so sad. (1) How do I know whether its a MALE OR FEMALE; (2) Is there anything I can do?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back