CO2 scrubber without skimmer

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing @ReefLife_Guy this is exactly what I have been looking for.

After many years of trying different setups for someone who travels a lot for work I have found that no protein skimmer is better then a extremely poorly maintained protein skimmer. Will definitely be trying this method.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing @ReefLife_Guy this is exactly what I have been looking for.

After many years of trying different setups for someone who travels a lot for work I have found that no protein skimmer is better then a extremely poorly maintained protein skimmer. Will definitely be trying this method.
Why do you say this, and please explain what you mean by “poorly maintained skimmer” just curious of how you define that?

jkon81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re a lifesaver
Skimmerless CO2 Scrubber Build

I'm writing this build thread for a CO2 scrubber setup without the need for a skimmer since I had a difficult time finding anyone who had done this.

The plumbing is simple: air pump --> CO2 canister with sodalime --> an airstone placed in your sump or tank

1655391738972.jpeg

I will include the materials I used to build this but most of it can be substituted for what you already have or for something else. The only thing I will emphasize is to try and get an air pump with a similar strength and if it isn't adjustable, to add an inline adjustable airflow valve. This is important for 2 reasons: 1. you need sufficient airflow to push the air through the canister and into your airstone 2. being able to adjust the airflow will allow you to be able to use your sodalime in the most efficient way. I assume there is a ceiling effect with how much you can raise your CO2 and no matter how much airflow you have, you will not have additional rise in pH but you will definitely go through sodalime like crazy. The airline kit below includes some of those inline airflow adjustable valves.

Materials needed (total cost for this exact setup was a little over $125 USD):
-Hygger 10W Aquarium Air Pump with 2 Ports for 55~600 Gallon Fish Tank 250GPH

-JIH Aquarium Air Pump Accessories Set -25 Feet Airline Tubing Black Standard, Air Stones,Check Valves, Suction Cups and Connectors

-JoyTube Plastic Hose Barb Reducer Pipe fittings 3/8" to 3/16" Connectors

-Universal CO2 Scrubber - Bulk Reef Supply
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-universal-co2-scrubber.html

-JorVet Soda Lime, 3lb bag

I cannot comment on efficiency of soda lime use at this time, but I would not assume it to be much different from what is reported by others using the skimmer CO2 scrubber. I will come back to this thread and comment with how long it took before I had to change out the sodalime.

Below is the progressive change in pH I had since setting it up, my alkalinity was already at 12 dKH so I figured my only option to raise my pH was a CO2 scrubber. Seems to have a more stable range of pH fluctuation as well. You can see that I setup this scrubber on June 9th and has continued to slowly increase since then and bring the peak and troughs closer together. Now I am just adjusting the airflow rate down to maximize pH gain but minimize use of the sodalime.

1655393134985.png

1655393256142.png

If you have any questions about this setup let me know!

You’re a lifesaver, Thank you! I’m going to build one of these for my Biocube 32. Should I still use the 10 watt air pump for an aquarium that small? Again thank you for sharing your build!

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to chime in that I did this with my 132G system. Works great and I have seen a noticeable increase in my pH after implemented.

The red line at 10/15 is when I added the Air Pump + CO2 media + Air Stone. I have a controller that turns it on when my pH < 8.3. It's basically on all the time except for ~4 hours during the middle of the day.

1667185125108.png

nvcheeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having CO2 on MY Skimmer with PH reaching 8.4 before controller turn it off, Got some new LEDs so no longer could fit my skimmer so i have connected this with Mame Skimmer and overnight yet to see results PH is now lowest its ever been, and its connected right as i have the Skimmer airstone powered directer from scrubber, Ill give it few days might have to put some water in bottom to give it some moisture,

NTB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give any updates on this ? Is there anything you would do different ? My tank is new everything is looking good but the PH is low my alkalinity is on the high end . So this might be my fix .

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can attest that the method works, and I will continue to use it to pump my pH ever so slightly higher. It's not terribly efficient though as my air pump is running nearly 24/7, so I'm churning through CO2 media about once a month (with the large BRS media canister.)

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The BRS soda lime is garbage. It doesn't work period. You'll want to buy the icecap or Two Little Fishies brand, or anything but the BRS brand. Last time I tried it, It did nothing. They told me they've had continuous trouble with it and people complaining.

Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmerless CO2 Scrubber Build

I'm writing this build thread for a CO2 scrubber setup without the need for a skimmer since I had a difficult time finding anyone who had done this.

The plumbing is simple: air pump --> CO2 canister with sodalime --> an airstone placed in your sump or tank

1655391738972.jpeg

I will include the materials I used to build this but most of it can be substituted for what you already have or for something else. The only thing I will emphasize is to try and get an air pump with a similar strength and if it isn't adjustable, to add an inline adjustable airflow valve. This is important for 2 reasons: 1. you need sufficient airflow to push the air through the canister and into your airstone 2. being able to adjust the airflow will allow you to be able to use your sodalime in the most efficient way. I assume there is a ceiling effect with how much you can raise your CO2 and no matter how much airflow you have, you will not have additional rise in pH but you will definitely go through sodalime like crazy. The airline kit below includes some of those inline airflow adjustable valves.

Materials needed (total cost for this exact setup was a little over $125 USD):
-Hygger 10W Aquarium Air Pump with 2 Ports for 55~600 Gallon Fish Tank 250GPH

-JIH Aquarium Air Pump Accessories Set -25 Feet Airline Tubing Black Standard, Air Stones,Check Valves, Suction Cups and Connectors

-JoyTube Plastic Hose Barb Reducer Pipe fittings 3/8" to 3/16" Connectors

-Universal CO2 Scrubber - Bulk Reef Supply
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-universal-co2-scrubber.html

-JorVet Soda Lime, 3lb bag

I cannot comment on efficiency of soda lime use at this time, but I would not assume it to be much different from what is reported by others using the skimmer CO2 scrubber. I will come back to this thread and comment with how long it took before I had to change out the sodalime.

Below is the progressive change in pH I had since setting it up, my alkalinity was already at 12 dKH so I figured my only option to raise my pH was a CO2 scrubber. Seems to have a more stable range of pH fluctuation as well. You can see that I setup this scrubber on June 9th and has continued to slowly increase since then and bring the peak and troughs closer together. Now I am just adjusting the airflow rate down to maximize pH gain but minimize use of the sodalime.

1655393134985.png

1655393256142.png

If you have any questions about this setup let me know!

How high are you running the pump? Half way? Max it’s pretty loud it seems

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear:

pH results are posted above, with this setup I increased my pH from ~7.75-7.9 to 8.1-8.2. The only additional results I can provide is how long before I have to replace the media. I won't be able to comment on any differences in coral growth because I just haven't had the coral long enough at the lower pH to compare the difference at the higher pH. But since its the only parameter I'm changing I will assume if there is better growth it is because of the difference in pH attributed to the CO2 scrubber.

Although subjectively I think the polyps on my Euphyllia are much less retracted and seem fuller.
I’m getting this set up started, still wondering how this works? How does the lime get into the tank? If its just air going through the scrubber? I really dont understand the mechanics and its probably super easy….

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m getting this set up started, still wondering how this works? How does the lime get into the tank? If its just air going through the scrubber? I really dont understand the mechanics and its probably super easy….

The lime can get into the tank via the CO2 scrubber one way. The intake of the skimmer is connected to the CO2 scrubber and the CO2 scrubber's intake is connected to the skinner's collection cup.

The skimmer collection cup gets liquid in it, either from waste or evaporation. Sometimes that liquid gets sucked into the CO2 scrubber and that can be enough liquid, over the period a week or two, to go though and wet the CO2 scrubber media and then that can get aucked into the skimmer intake.

Once that happens, you're dosing pure lime into your tank. I've had it happen and your Alk will increase exponentially and quickly. I have a few ways around this, but some liquid in the media is good as it activates the scrubber media better and seems to make it more efficient.

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lime can get into the tank via the CO2 scrubber one way. The intake of the skimmer is connected to the CO2 scrubber and the CO2 scrubber's intake is connected to the skinner's collection cup.

The skimmer collection cup gets liquid in it, either from waste or evaporation. Sometimes that liquid gets sucked into the CO2 scrubber and that can be enough liquid, over the period a week or two, to go though and wet the CO2 scrubber media and then that can get aucked into the skimmer intake.

Once that happens, you're dosing pure lime into your tank. I've had it happen and your Alk will increase exponentially and quickly. I have a few ways around this, but some liquid in the media is good as it activates the scrubber media better and seems to make it more efficient.
I’m doing this without a skimmer….

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The soda lime is not intended to enter the tank water. Soda lime is intended to strip CO2 from the air itself, thus reducing the amount of gaseous CO2 being pumped into the water.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The soda lime is not intended to enter the tank water. Soda lime is intended to strip CO2 from the air itself, thus reducing the amount of gaseous CO2 being pumped into the water.
Ok, got it….thank you. I thought the limewater was slowly introduced into the tank….makes sense now

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you silence the sound of the bubbles? That was my experience with this approach(it was loud). Maybe my airflow was too high.

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, scrubber is online, will post results at a later date….the air pump is super silent and I like the fact that it’s adjustable.

Bump bump

Mike33515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hooking this setup now does anyone know if you need to put water at the bottom or not of the co2 canister?

Thanks mike

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back