Conch with Broken Shell

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Having an issue with my fighting conch. I've had the little guy for about two years. Day before yesterday, it was tipped over. I picked it up and the shell broke, so there is a large piece missing now. I thought the conch was dead but left it in the tank to be sure. It has moved a little and when I scooped it out last night, it was definitely still alive. It hasn't moved much since.

Is there a way to help it? Can I patch the shell with something? Should I just leave it alone and hope for the best? Also, why was the shell so fragile? The piece that came off was thin and kind a crumbled. Makes me think there's a bigger issue in the tank. Will test water tonight.

Thank you!

Cheers,
rant

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. I was thinking about this last night while trying to get to sleep. Have you checked your water parameters lately? Was thinking about those foundational elements like CA, Mg and some of those micro elements, that are necessary for the snails shells to remain strong and grow.

OP
OP
rantipole

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca is 400. I don't have a Mg test, but am getting one. I was thinking of those kinds of minerals as well. My leathers, zoas, and clove polyps are fine. My other snails are doing well, but they have only been in the tank a couple months. The conch has been there for ~2 years.

Cheers,
rant

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back