Confession: I freaking hate my clownfish. Any fish you love to hate?

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I get friends like yours? A candy basslet snack is one expensive treat, ha
I would love to give you sarcastic answer lol, but in all honesty you need to make some sort of a connection with a wholesaler, like owning an LFS and buying fish from them, working for the wholesaler, selling to the wholesaler, etc.

In my case I was a teen back then and I sold countless of acros to the wholesaler back when acros were misunderstood, but I grew them like 1 2 3. I would sell colonies for dirt cheap and he would be bank off of them. That's how I made connections with the wholesaler. But that won't really get you anywhere yet, you actually need to make friends with the wholesaler, aka don't be a boring person. Wholesalers LOVE to talk. Nowadays it is pretty difficult since you would need top of the line stuff and the most bubbliest personality (like me) in order to get wholesalers to do favors for you, easiest way is acros IMO.

Yeah the candy basslet was a big loss, that was $450 down the drain.

RosieSkys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him from a friend who was a wholesaler and he got 2 of them dirt cheap due to error, so he just gave me one for free. This was about 1.5 years ago.

I have a Blackfin McCosker Wrasse, Polynesica Pencil Wrasse, Splendid Pencil Wrasse, Yellow Tang, African Exquisite Fairy Wrasse, Cleaner Wrasse, Sunset Anthias, Ventralis Anthias, Earmuff Wrasse, Red Dragonet, Ruby Red Scooter, Moyeri Leopard Wrasse, Watanabei Angel, and Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse. All relatively small fish, he ignores them when he is well fed. Pretty lazy eel unless hungry, that's when he goes ULTRA aggro.

The only fish he ate was an Aussie Harli Tusk that was beating on the eel, which was the biggest fish... He also ate a candy basslet, which was the smallest fish...

I learned that you have to introduce territorial fish AFTER the eel and don't get fish that hides in the same den as the eel, cuz fish aren't the brightest animals.
Wrasse extravagantza! I need pics of your other fish. That eel is pretty spectacular!

DennistheMenace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Oscellarus bites the hell out of me too, but I can scare him away with a net. I truly hate my mistake of introducing a yellow psuedocromis. Wants to fight everything, and kills every wrasse or blenny I place in my 165g reef. Another lesson learned is never to put damsels in a reef tank. They rearrange everything, no matter how old they are, how big they are, or how big the particular piece of coral is.

Brian Kennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair of adult ocellaris clowns don’t bite me, but they assault every fish I add to the tank. They are currently beating the ever loving you know what out of the brand new quarantined yellow eye Koke tang. I’m starting to hate them!!

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t hate him but my Halichoeres Argus wrasse has a habit that drives me nuts. He likes to pickup large amounts of sand in his mouth, carry it and then spit it out. So I end up with sand all over the rocks, on top of power heads, etc that I have to blow off multiple times per week.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Amazon. Showa Atlas 772 M Nitrile Elbow Length Chemical Resistant Gloves, 26", Yellow

Not sure if I can paste the link but never the less, here:

I forgot about this. Just ordered it after being attacked hanging nori

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get the love for clowns.

I mean, they're adorable, but from everything I've read, I just don't want them in my tank.

I want my tank to be a VW Microbus -- everybody chillin' and lovin' on each other and passing the nori around.

mine are super chill love birds, been hand feeding them since day 1.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t hate my goby, but he is definitely on thin ice! I just posted this lol

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put some new frags near my clownfish pairs favorite leather and they did not like the new neighbors so the picked the frags up one by one with their mouths out of the rack and dropped them.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Kinda sad day....my mystery or ruby longfin wrasse killed my clownfish. Positive news, I got new frostbites for my nem frag tank and don't have to worry about sticking my hands in the 125g.

I froze 'em. I think I may cut them up and feed them to my nem...seems kinda a good way to go instead of throwing them in the trash. I haven't decided yet

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda sad day....my mystery or ruby longfin wrasse killed my clownfish. Positive news, I got new frostbites for my nem frag tank and don't have to worry about sticking my hands in the 125g.

I froze 'em. I think I may cut them up and feed them to my nem...seems kinda a good way to go instead of throwing them in the trash. I haven't decided yet
Sorry for your loss :( I always bury my fishes in my yard. I think if the nem would eat it that would be even better.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Sorry for your loss :( I always bury my fishes in my yard. I think if the nem would eat it that would be even better.
Yeah, I don't know how long they were dead for though, that's my only problem. I work 12 hours, so when I got home to feed, they were dead.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a love/Hate relations with mine... if they are pair and laying eggs they will moezy all the way across my 180 just to bite me, makes gluing and hold a coral in place a little difficult. Those little suckers can draw blood, but they also got nothing on my triggers bite, now that hurts!

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish bite? That's nothing compared to getting bit by this guy.
IMG-0905.jpg

Dream animal, but can't do anything with my tank such as gluing down coral, fragging, maintenance, etc. with this monster giving PTSD of that one time...
Can't even go on vacation without having someone to feed my eel, or he eats his tankmates.
Whenever he "frags" an acro, and it falls into his den, F THAT. No matter how high quality that frag is, that frag is good as dead. Not worth my hand.
Still love him tho ;Cat.
Same issue, ours is 4 feet long.
fullsizeoutput_c5.jpeg

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a love hate relationship with my cleaner shrimp. By that I mean I would love to fry him up with some lemon and butter, because I hate him. Useful little guy though...he gets to live.
Are th cleaner shrimp that aggressive ?? I have a fire shrimp and he is very chill with my mated clowns and 2 pj cards 1 firefish 1 mag foxface. I was thinking of getting a CLEANER shrimp as well but if you really dislike yours I guess I should rethink....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back