Confirm haddoni pls

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He told me that the importer treated it for two weeks before shipping it to him. I'll have Cipro ready just in case and im literally working from home next to my tank and will keep an eye. I appreciate all your help. Btw, I'll hit you up if I see any anemones.

Neptune still has a red and a purple carpet and a bunch of red rbta
I will warn that shops have told me that their anemones have been treated before. Recently I inquired on the details of the treatment and it turns out they treated the gig for just 3 days. It’s widely agreed upon that you should do a full 7 day treatment, so I wouldn’t consider 3 day treatment as sufficient. If anything they could be creating an antibiotic resistant pathogen strain that way.

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with much in this thread. Nems are easy if you acquire a healthy one. I don’t agree haddonis need white light though. I’ve kept one under single color led royal blue LEDs for three plus years. its healthy and huge and has never moved.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will warn that shops have told me that their anemones have been treated before. Recently I inquired on the details of the treatment and it turns out they treated the gig for just 3 days. It’s widely agreed upon that you should do a full 7 day treatment, so I wouldn’t consider 3 day treatment as sufficient. If anything they could be creating an antibiotic resistant pathogen strain that way.
My 9th anemone from them. So far none was sick and I've never had to do any treatment. I do trust them and will watch for any illness. Right now it's acclimating greaat.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you have a Haddoni and gigantea. Might as well search and add a Mertensii as well.

The one is mine. Just a little baby.

B6D8CAD1-6E58-42A3-9778-B32D43C47B76.jpeg

You should see Taylor’s tank. He is like the Godfather of Gigantea @Taylor t

Pictured is used without permission. I hope this is okay.

8E501D45-6E84-4CF8-B040-27FA4006623C.jpeg

but my favourite is a user named shutiny

she is out of the hobby now but look for her journal on another forum. You will learn so much and oogle that 1000+ anemone tank.

Nice mertens! Lol I’m not The Godfather, I think that tittle goes to Rod of Rods food. Seeing his at his shop in early 2000’s is what made me like gigs so much. I originally started with 6 and got Pete’s 5 so I had 11. I sold 3 gave 1 away and all 4 of those died from system crashes. But still have 7 of the originals. A couple weeks ago in storms my GFI tripped and my tank lost power for 12 hours. When I found it all my fish died but gigs looked happy as ever. A real bummer.
Here’s the day before I lost my fish, I happened to snap a shot for someone the day before. I have another tank plumbed to the system but have been to busy to fill it.

D1368FAF-8D92-46C2-BF7D-87CA4D4CF49F.jpeg BD57C828-F696-47D6-89A4-37B40EB62EDC.jpeg

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice mertens! Lol I’m not The Godfather, I think that tittle goes to Rod of Rods food. Seeing his at his shop in early 2000’s is what made me like gigs so much. I originally started with 6 and got Pete’s 5 so I had 11. I sold 3 gave 1 away and all 4 of those died from system crashes. But still have 7 of the originals. A couple weeks ago in storms my GFI tripped and my tank lost power for 12 hours. When I found it all my fish died but gigs looked happy as ever. A real bummer.
Here’s the day before I lost my fish, I happened to snap a shot for someone the day before. I have another tank plumbed to the system but have been to busy to fill it.

D1368FAF-8D92-46C2-BF7D-87CA4D4CF49F.jpeg BD57C828-F696-47D6-89A4-37B40EB62EDC.jpeg
Wow beautiful!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry about the fishes.
You measure the PAR your Gigantea thrive under. I remembered it was insane but don't remember the numbers. Can you remind me what is the average PAR in the tank above?

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pic above... using round numbers.. what are they selling for in Cali? Those are premium critters on the east coast. Rare.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN is this enough flow? I recalibrated my return pump.

I am not an expert.

But the type of flow I provide for my anemones is pulsing. Two pumps, one on each side... one runs for a few seconds and then the other. It is that feeling you get underwater of being pulled one way and then the other.. a rhythmic feeling.

So the anemones tentacles wave. I am not hitting them with a direct constant flow from just one direction.

From the video it appears you are blasting the yellow gig while the rest barely get any flow.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an expert.

But the type of flow I provide for my anemones is pulsing. Two pumps, one on each side... one runs for a few seconds and then the other. It is that feeling you get underwater of being pulled one way and then the other.. a rhythmic feeling.

So the anemones tentacles wave. I am not hitting them with a direct constant flow from just one direction.

From the video it appears you are blasting the yellow gig while the rest barely get any flow.
Thanks. I moved it a little so it is blasting the two gigantea. The haddoni doesnt need a lot of flow.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the fishes.
You measure the PAR your Gigantea thrive under. I remembered it was insane but don't remember the numbers. Can you remind me what is the average PAR in the tank above?

I cut the lights a bit because of the heat and space. If I could add more light I would, they love white light, but putting my arm in the tank was a hassle so I took some lights out to make room for cleaning. Rod had his under 400 watt metal halides for comparison. My par ranges between 800-1800 depending on directly under spots or not. On average I’d say most of the disk sits around 11-1200 at anemone disk with a couple local hot spots on a couple. They used to be in a 75 gallon and lights were closer to anemones and giving 22-2300 par. Now in 125 lights are farther a little bit and less par but still doing well. I never feed them. Above posts are same as I’ve experienced, food not required and only increases risk of losing them until thriving health is achieved, then yes food makes them grow and appears to give them strength but only after solid acclimation would I consider feeding them, feeding not worth the risk in the beginning, they don’t “need” food.

Sprungson congrats on your gigs, they look good! Flow looked a little higher on that green than it might like at first, and a little low on the blue, but ultimately the flow you give green in your video is a good target to get to. They all are different and will tolerate more flow without moving as they acclimate well. The red won’t put up with the flow level the gigs will like, keeping them that close may be challenging but it’s possible you might figure out flow patterns to keep them close and make them all happy. With gigs, higher flow is a better choice to purge the crap out of them in the beginning until they acclimate, but also has risk of them walking away from flow until they acclimate well. High flow seems to give them the shag carpet look over time and they seem to like higher flow, but some do tolerate lower flow for long periods of time.

Here’s a few pics from yesterday.

4A49EACD-1B37-4C4A-B959-4EA0F6B8FD1C.jpeg CED2B5CC-76B1-4C18-9631-07F4346589AE.jpeg E2BA5D9E-817E-4CAC-A5CB-F44DBB11BB14.jpeg 897C4A9C-47CA-4379-80BA-B95FA6C9C601.jpeg BE9FD5FD-7B10-4D9F-886E-4A6403465F14.jpeg D97C8DC5-8B35-43C0-BED1-A2C516D915E0.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN is this enough flow? I recalibrated my return pump.

It does not seem random enough. If the PH is controllable, I would do one of two things:
1. arrange so that the flow of two PH meet just above the anemones, or varies the flow in random changes from way high to way low. Reef crest mode of the Vortech is really good at this. When I have the anemones in smaller tanks, have two MJ PH point at each other just above a Magnifica or Gigantea works great.

I agree with @Taylor t that Gigantea can live in lower flow for long duration of time but do much better with high flow.
Gigantea2019080303Multicolor.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not seem random enough. If the PH is controllable, I would do one of two things:
1. arrange so that the flow of two PH meet just above the anemones, or varies the flow in random changes from way high to way low. Reef crest mode of the Vortech is really good at this. When I have the anemones in smaller tanks, have two MJ PH point at each other just above a Magnifica or Gigantea works great.

I agree with @Taylor t that Gigantea can live in lower flow for long duration of time but do much better with high flow.
Gigantea2019080303Multicolor.jpg
Thank you! I just pointed the two powerheads at each other and put it under reef crest

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t post a link to Shu Tin tank as I wasn’t sure if the forum rules allowed. But google “exotic coral 3600g”. She started with a privately owned outdoor 3600 gal tank that was filled with carpets and magnificas. You will learn so much from that journal. She even began testing carpet propagation via manual division.

pictures posted below without permission as user no longer in hobby @shutiny

13420404-D970-4E06-BB9E-B8B52F1A3B71.jpeg

35515176-4A1E-4DAD-88C6-E801978BB348.jpeg

07397127-AB9A-4EC0-8E4B-F90FD0894AB1.jpeg

bobcam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt it. Take a day time pic with flash. I bet it’s a Gig.

Yep, almost ALL colored carpets are Gigantia. Haddons are generally striped and variations of green. mertens have thin bodies and also almost always green or tan.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, almost ALL colored carpets are Gigantia. Haddons are generally striped and variations of green. mertens have thin bodies and also almost always green or tan.
Really? I've seen red, pink, yellow, and green haddoni carpet. Seems they are equally as colored, if not more. I have not seen a red or pink gig

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back