Confusion on salt water storage

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea states that you can not store their coral pro salt mixed in water for more than 12 hours otherwise you will get precipitation. So why then does the alk and calcium not precipitate in our tanks at 12 hours after a water change?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question... Correct me if I'm wrong but they are stating that the water will evaporate causing your salinity to spike... no? Let's just go to the source and ask our folks @Red Sea to help with that wonderful science magic. I have the pro salt the answer would be great reef trivia to know.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precipitation means that calcium and alkalinity fall out of solution and make sand basically. So cal and alk drop. Temperature can speed this process too. The higher the faster, for example on heaters. But i dont think 12 hours is a problem just it may reduce its alk and cal slightly.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question... Correct me if I'm wrong but they are stating that the water will evaporate causing your salinity to spike... no? Let's just go to the source and ask our folks @Red Sea to help with that wonderful science magic. I have the pro salt the answer would be great reef trivia to know.

They said the red sea salt can last a week stored but the coral pro only 12 hours before you get precipitation. This is according to their on of their latest videos on YouTube. It wasn't that the water evaporated and the levels rise but rather that the coral pro is not as stable as the regular blue bucket in terms of time you can store it. But this makes me wonder how can it go into a tank without the levels being altered to the point of concern as it would in storage (if it even drops to a level of concern)

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix 50 gallons a week of RSCP. I’ve had many weeks over the years that for one reason or another I’ve had my ATO turned off, no issues of the water sitting for a week or two longer than usual.

What I have had happen, accidentally leaving the mix pump on overnight. The water starts to smell. It needs to sit still, unheated.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back