Controller Conundrum

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allow me to think out loud here for a coupe paragraphs, then discuss:

I've got a 75 gallon mixed reef aquarium that's been up and running for a couple years now.
It's currently controlled and monitored by the Digital Aquatics Archon. I was a fairly new adopter and weathered a lot of it's growing pains, but now it's stable. A couple months ago, I saw the need to start dosing Ca and Alk so I bought a couple of the Digital Aquatics dosing pumps. One works flawlessly, but one won't hold its prime. Several emails, texts, and phone calls unanswered. I'm getting a little disillusioned with Digital Aquatics.

I'm considering making the switch to Neptune Apex. To do what my Archon is doing right now, I'd be spending about $1500! Ouch. I could probably get $500-600 selling my DA equipment.

I have to admit, I suffer from SNES (Shiny New Equipment Syndrome) and ITTS (Incessant Tank Tinkering Syndrome). Expensive ailments to have: $99 dosing pump replacement vs. $1500 controller system overhaul.

Anyone make the controller switch?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Well in your case, if a $99 investment "fixes" the only issue, and you're happy with the rest of the system, then I would go that route. That gives you $1,400 to feed your SNES and ITTS with other items. Or have a whole bunch of fun during the next live sale!!!!

My $.02.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are indeed suffering with both SNES and ITTS, then I think you should make the move - Neptune will always be 1 or 2 steps ahead of DA, and you also get the chance to be a "beta" tester.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, why was it going to cost you 1500 bucks to replace the Archon? I would have done the $99 as well, even if it only worked for a couple of months, but $1500 bucks seems steep.

Unless you're really bad with the SNES, in which case, party on Wayne.

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Archon is a great product and if the doser pump is wanky , get another .
I know for a fact some really kool things are coming in Dec with the Archon and you will be glad you kept it!:p

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, why was it going to cost you 1500 bucks to replace the Archon? I would have done the $99 as well, even if it only worked for a couple of months, but $1500 bucks seems steep.

Unless you're really bad with the SNES, in which case, party on Wayne.

I've got an ATO system, Auto water change system, two heaters, Gyre, RW-4 powerheads, skimmer, return pump, kalk stirrer, and dose NoPox, alk, and Ca.

Apex Controller $799
ATK kit $199
DOS $299, plus another dosing pump $99.
(I could probably do without the ATK and DOS if I got another EB4/8 at $119/$159, but, hey!, they tickle the SNES!)

The Archon is a great product and if the doser pump is wanky , get another .
I know for a fact some really kool things are coming in Dec with the Archon and you will be glad you kept it!:p

Good to know stuff is going to happen! Been a while since any updates or improvements.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got all the Apex gear you're talking about and more, and I've definitely spent north of two grand on it. But this is on a new tank. Given the amount of time and tension I've spent getting everything on the Apex working just the way I want it to, and learning various tweaks and tricks, I definitely don't intend to change to something else any time soon if this continues to do what I need, whether it's from the same company or another.

However, I may add modules, like that Trident I want to give that a try. :)

Last edited:

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an ATO system, Auto water change system, two heaters, Gyre, RW-4 powerheads, skimmer, return pump, kalk stirrer, and dose NoPox, alk, and Ca.

Apex Controller $799
ATK kit $199
DOS $299, plus another dosing pump $99.
(I could probably do without the ATK and DOS if I got another EB4/8 at $119/$159, but, hey!, they tickle the SNES!)

Ah. Understood. Thank you for clarifying :)

Yeah, it's tough to rule the ATK and DOS out. I have a similar setup, I use a BRS pumps AND a DOS, and while look I get it on price, but the DOS interface is just so easy to use, no calculations required. And then for the ATK, you need an ATO anyway, what's another couple of bucks?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back