converting 300 to triton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
B

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dosed iodine and potassium and calcium on my second week of 15% wc. I pulled my filter socks today to get towards more true triton method, does any one for see a problem with removing socks. btw i started to see zoa improvement after adding supplements.

OP
OP
B

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so filter socks have been off 2 days and polyps extension is way better. hopefully corals continue to improve but for know filter socks are staying off.

I also added mysid shrimp to my tank about 3 weeks ago. I shined a light in my overflow last night and there are babies everywhere it pretty cool, so another reason not to have socks along with pods

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only add filter socks when i feel there is a need. Meaning if I see particles in the water I will add.

I am going to be creating a vacuum and a surface scrubber soon. I will fill you in once it is created.

OP
OP
B

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so since i had the filter sock holders not being utilized i made a make shift ats starting to get some growth this morning. im running a odessya 2 bulb 24" plant fixture over it. i need to cut screens for better fit but just a idea.

screen
Photo Sep 01, 11 47 57 AM.jpg
Photo Sep 01, 11 48 02 AM.jpg

Photo Sep 01, 11 47 54 AM.jpg

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two methods you can use for a ATS.. Upflow and DownFlow. Upflow uses a air stone and down flow uses some type water streaming over the screen. I prefer the downflow method. Is this screen sitting on the overflow box of the tank?

OP
OP
B

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's sitting over my built in sock holders. So I guess it's technically a down flow I'll try to get some better pics

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AHh ok.. Yea this might work pretty good but must be loud?

OP
OP
B

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AHh ok.. Yea this might work pretty good but must be loud?

not to noticable would have been just as loud with out it hopefully it works and then ill start turning my skimmer down, since ill have ats and fuge running.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might find that the ATS will out compete the Fuge and kill Macro Algae. It happened to me with the chaeto.

OP
OP
B

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might find that the ATS will out compete the Fuge and kill Macro Algae. It happened to me with the chaeto.

once this starts happening ill slowly start dialing down my skimmer to offsetit . it would be awsome to eventually be able to turn the skimmer off completely and have my algae as my only filtration.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what..Duh why didn't I think of this once the chaeto didn't thrive.. Jesh I over looked it. Great IDEA!

OP
OP
B

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well alage is taking hold well see how good it works

OP
OP
B

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File Oct 28, 8 16 10 AM.png
File Oct 28, 8 16 33 AM.png

okay got test results My boron is my only concern. Im contemplating not doing a water change because it didnt help much from last time. and also the point of triton is no water changes. and if im having to do a water change every test then might as well just do them dose brs and be done with it. i will order potasium/ni/mo/i and dose those to level. my other question is should i go ahead and dose V/ZN/MN

OP
OP
B

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea maybe my chaeto is eating through it. as far as lithium not sure what i can do i wonder if detox would work for it. or maybe add a third di canister

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea maybe my chaeto is eating through it. as far as lithium not sure what i can do i wonder if detox would work for it. or maybe add a third di canister

Just read this thread. The lithium certainly is very high still. What salt are you using? Some salt mixes have very high lithium but Ive never seen any at your levels. Are you adding anything else? Tech M or anything? I don't know of anything that will remove the lithium aside from water changes. The good news is that we don't really know what negatives high lithium causes. It certainly isn't something to overly fret about but it is something that you want to lower of course.
You really need to get the iodine up. It is very low on your last test. If you have the room in your budget to add the other traces you mentioned then go for it. If not, then be assured that they are being added daily with the Base elementz. You could do some large water changes with Tropic Marin Pro salt and this would get the levels back in line for sure. (Iodine, Lithium, etc.)

OP
OP
B

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did a 200 gallon water change after previous test and the lithium was still high on this test so water change did effect to much. iodine has been dosed and im setting up a doser to dose it and the potassium on a daily basis now i will attempt to mix them in same container to start unless the crystallize. buit it will be such a small amount of each i see no problems. I used tropic pro last time and if had to would do again. im dosing my potassium now to bring levels to norm then will kick on daily doser of K&I

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back