Converting Media Reactor to Algae Reactor

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by TheLadyCrash, Oct 29, 2017.

1. TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I have a BRS Dual Media Reactor that I’m running on my 45g at the moment. I’ve been toying around with the idea of modifying one of the reactors to be an algae reactor but have a few questions.

1.) Is this a feasible / good idea?
    2.) Does it matter if the algae reactor was in the 1st or 2nd position?
    3.) Since my tank is only 45g so the amount of media used is small, can I put both GFO and Carbon in the same reactor as long as they are separated by sponges?

Picture of the reactor I have from BRS is below:
    C6E4833A-2857-4B85-A8DC-78BE9897CA4D.jpeg

2. azbigjohn

azbigjohn Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

BRS has instruction on mixing GFO and Carbon in one reactor. They do not even need separated, just mixed.

Not sure on the other question.

TheLadyCrash likes this.
  3. TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Bump

4. twobytwo

twobytwo Well-Known Member

I think... so I did this, turned a dual reactor into an algae reactor. However, I made a box for the reactor to sit in, and wrapped LED lights inside the box. I didn't want to wrap LED's around the canisters as I figured it would be more difficult to clean the cartridges if there were LED's attached . I also used BOTH canisters for algae reactor and put my GFO and Carbon in separate TLF 150 reactors run from a single MJ1200 (i dont like a single valve for flow of two different media on the dual reactor)

I cannot comment on this. I put some algae in both cartridges

Yes, as mentioned, you can do this without the sponges. Here is the BRS Video, go to about 2:00 mark
    https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/brs-carbon-and-gfo-reactors/

TheLadyCrash likes this.
  5. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

You need to lose the smaller tube connections and get a larger diameter tube. This will reduce the head pressure you would need. Then you need to run a tube from the water inlet inside the reactor to the bottom of the container so the flow doesn't pass over algae but through it. From the bottom up.

You can light it with a clip lamp or wrap it with cheap r g b w leds.

The same would be true to run gfo or carbon in one of them.
    The carbon inserts for those have a hole that directs the flow.

TheLadyCrash likes this.
  6. TheLadyCrash

Thanks everyone. This gives me a starting place :)

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  7. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

Cool. Good luck !

Draft saved Draft deleted