Converting Media Reactor to Algae Reactor

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS Dual Media Reactor that I’m running on my 45g at the moment. I’ve been toying around with the idea of modifying one of the reactors to be an algae reactor but have a few questions.

1.) Is this a feasible / good idea?
2.) Does it matter if the algae reactor was in the 1st or 2nd position?
3.) Since my tank is only 45g so the amount of media used is small, can I put both GFO and Carbon in the same reactor as long as they are separated by sponges?

Picture of the reactor I have from BRS is below:
C6E4833A-2857-4B85-A8DC-78BE9897CA4D.jpeg

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS Dual Media Reactor that I’m running on my 45g at the moment. I’ve been toying around with the idea of modifying one of the reactors to be an algae reactor but have a few questions.

3.) Since my tank is only 45g so the amount of media used is small, can I put both GFO and Carbon in the same reactor as long as they are separated by sponges?

Picture of the reactor I have from BRS is below:
C6E4833A-2857-4B85-A8DC-78BE9897CA4D.jpeg
BRS has instruction on mixing GFO and Carbon in one reactor. They do not even need separated, just mixed.

Not sure on the other question.

twobytwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think... so I did this, turned a dual reactor into an algae reactor. However, I made a box for the reactor to sit in, and wrapped LED lights inside the box. I didn't want to wrap LED's around the canisters as I figured it would be more difficult to clean the cartridges if there were LED's attached . I also used BOTH canisters for algae reactor and put my GFO and Carbon in separate TLF 150 reactors run from a single MJ1200 (i dont like a single valve for flow of two different media on the dual reactor)

I cannot comment on this. I put some algae in both cartridges

Yes, as mentioned, you can do this without the sponges. Here is the BRS Video, go to about 2:00 mark
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/brs-carbon-and-gfo-reactors/

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to lose the smaller tube connections and get a larger diameter tube. This will reduce the head pressure you would need. Then you need to run a tube from the water inlet inside the reactor to the bottom of the container so the flow doesn't pass over algae but through it. From the bottom up.

You can light it with a clip lamp or wrap it with cheap r g b w leds.

The same would be true to run gfo or carbon in one of them.
The carbon inserts for those have a hole that directs the flow.

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this? I've got a new JBJ 45 too, I can't decide if I want to run a carbon/GFO mix or an algae reactor or possibly both by doing something like this.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back