Copepod refugium help

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I’ve recently bought a Scooter Blenny for my Waterbox 20. He readily takes frozen food, been feeding him frozen copepods which he readily eats, and he picks at what live copepods he can find in my tank.

Id like to construct a refugium for breeding pods, but just a rubble refugium. I have no issues with nutrients, and don’t want to starve my tank if I add chaeto. I’m thinking either a rubble pile in tank, seeding with pods and feeding the tank phyto to feed the pods.

My second option is a HOB filter into my display, that has copepods seeded into it and rubble, allowing them to breed and then drift into the tank. Can then direct feed phyto to them.

I’m not sure which is more feasible, does anybody have any ideas that could work better, or any suggestions?

Pic of the cute lil guy

09459EBC-D9C5-43DC-A034-CDD723BC70AF.jpeg BB6D6DCC-BD96-4034-9A36-2CBAA9C17242.jpeg

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had a pair of spawning Mandarins for going on 3 years now. Also a Copperband Butterfly fish. All 3 fish are constantly looking and finding pods. So that’s why I’ll stick with my original thought, they (pods) will outbreed your fish’s appetites. I also haven’t seeded my tank in years. Not that you couldn’t? $50 once a year, cheaper than dog food!!! Good luck. :)

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had a pair of spawning Mandarins for going on 3 years now. Also a Copperband Butterfly fish. All 3 fish are constantly looking and finding pods. So that’s why I’ll stick with my original thought, they (pods) will outbreed your fish’s appetites. I also haven’t seeded my tank in years. Not that you couldn’t? $50 once a year, cheaper than dog food!!! Good luck. :)
Will have to give it a try! I only have a 20g, so will monitor closely. Do you feed phyto to the tank for the pods?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will have to give it a try! I only have a 20g, so will monitor closely. Do you feed phyto to the tank for the pods?
No phyto. I have a 180g 12 fish, mixed corals, clam, Gorgonians, snails/crabs. I feed frozen foods and dry seaweed and reef roids for corals.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No phyto. I have a 180g 12 fish, mixed corals, clam, Gorgonians, snails/crabs. I feed frozen foods and dry seaweed and reef roids for corals.
Oo lovely. Hopefully the much smaller 20g size will keep it maintained. I think I’ll just keep an eye on the dragonet, if he starts looking skinny then I know the pods aren’t reproducing quickly enough

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@yanni Have you looked into hang on refugiums instead of HOB filters? You could put biofilter media in there like marine pure blocks and seed your copepods in there as well as the tank :) I would also many consider hatching baby brine for it since it isn't picky and diversifying his food can give the pods a break here and there from being constantly eaten

Last edited:

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oo lovely. Hopefully the much smaller 20g size will keep it maintained. I think I’ll just keep an eye on the dragonet, if he starts looking skinny then I know the pods aren’t reproducing quickly enough
a 20 gal will NOT have enough pods to feed a mandarin alone. IDK what that guy was talking about. A fuge could help, a pod culture would be better

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so here’s where I’m trying to come from. We’ve all heard of the idea of compounding interest yes? And we also know that if you simply “double” a $1 (dollar) like 30 times? Example: 1-2-4-8-16-32-64-128 etc etc. you arrive at over a billion and a half dollars when you double your one dollar bill 29 times!!! Multiplication in math is crazy! So here is a single copepod female ready to produce 40! Not like the $1 example but 40 eggs. And begin the multiplication process. And that’s just one mature female copepod. Maybe you have 10 female pods or 50? I personally think the numbers are staggering. Copepods, not Amphipods. Copepods are tiny little animals that can easily find a million places to hide and multiply in your 20 or my 180. Fuges and raising pods externally are great. Or just buy a bottle every couple of months. Either way we’ve got to take care of our fish. And my 3 fat fish are saying. “It’s all in the math”. Lol
In all fairness to Slugsnorter, I have a very protected 40 gallon sump, no fuge, but they’re down there too!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@yanni Have you looked into hang on refugiums instead of HOB filters? You could put biofilter media in there like marine pure blocks and seed your copepods in there as well as the tank :) I would also many consider hatching baby brine for it since it isn't picky and diversifying his food can give the pods a break here and there from being constantly eaten
seconding this. I run a cpr aquatics aquafuge small with a bunch of marine pure blocks in the back for copepods. No complaints and it grows hair algae for nutrient export.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really good idea!! Admittedly, I didn't look into that, but I think that'll be my next approach. I'll probably look at a brine shrimp hatchery soon, may be a good lil project and food source! Appreciate the help

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 20 gal will NOT have enough pods to feed a mandarin alone. IDK what that guy was talking about. A fuge could help, a pod culture would be better
Sadly don't really have the room for a pod culture, but he readily takes frozen food which is good. I think I'll go with the refugium, always better to have more than needed

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seconding this. I run a cpr aquatics aquafuge small with a bunch of marine pure blocks in the back for copepods. No complaints and it grows hair algae for nutrient export.
That's an awesome point, never considered it growing pest algae even as a form of nutrient export :grinning-squinting-face:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can also choose a macro algae that’s slow growing, thus not soaking up too many nutrients. Plus, macros need trace elements just as much as they need nutrients. Plastic mesh media is great for keeping pods secure.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also choose a macro algae that’s slow growing, thus not soaking up too many nutrients. Plus, macros need trace elements just as much as they need nutrients. Plastic mesh media is great for keeping pods secure.
I didn’t consider that. Do you know of any slow growing macros algae, I know next to nothing about macro algae haha

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back