*COPPERSAFE WARNING* along with Research on Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good results with Cupramine. Just keep in mind it's an "ionic copper" and some fish don't do well with ionic. That being said, Copper Power (a chelated copper) is what most of us are using now. Here's @HotRocks thread on dosage. Problem is the API Copper Test Kit is IMO very unreliable. So use it as a "backup" to good, accurate, careful dosing. Use a syringe that is small enough so the measurement is as accurate as possible. In other words a 10ml syringe is not as accurate as a small 1ml syringe for small doses like 1ml.

Dosing instructions for Copper Power:
Bottle reads 1oz per 20 gallons. (I have checked several bottles, at least 6, all of which using the hanna method, yield 2.5ppm)
This equates to 29.5ml per 20 Gallons to achieve a 2.5ppm level. Or 1.475ml Per Gallon

1.18ml per gallon = 2.0ppm

.89ml per gallon = 1.5ppm

All of that being said,
I think it would be a good idea to dose 1ml per gallon as a baseline, testing throughout (If the hanna method is being used). Once you have reached your target total for your total gallons over the ramp up period, you can easily test and adjust as need be.

If you are using visual test methods, such as API, Hach, Chemetrics, I would use shoot for the dosage of 1.1-1.18ml per gallon in an effort to maintain a level above the therapeutic minimum.

Here's a thread by Meredith that guides to which copper to use. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-and-treatment-guidelines-with-chart.283450/#post-3449648

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good results with Cupramine. Just keep in mind it's an "ionic copper" and some fish don't do well with ionic. That being said, Copper Power (a chelated copper) is what most of us are using now. Here's @HotRocks thread on dosage. Problem is the API Copper Test Kit is IMO very unreliable. So use it as a "backup" to good, accurate, careful dosing. Use a syringe that is small enough so the measurement is as accurate as possible. In other words a 10ml syringe is not as accurate as a small 1ml syringe for small doses like 1ml.

Dosing instructions for Copper Power:
Bottle reads 1oz per 20 gallons. (I have checked several bottles, at least 6, all of which using the hanna method, yield 2.5ppm)
This equates to 29.5ml per 20 Gallons to achieve a 2.5ppm level. Or 1.475ml Per Gallon

1.18ml per gallon = 2.0ppm

.89ml per gallon = 1.5ppm

All of that being said,
I think it would be a good idea to dose 1ml per gallon as a baseline, testing throughout (If the hanna method is being used). Once you have reached your target total for your total gallons over the ramp up period, you can easily test and adjust as need be.

If you are using visual test methods, such as API, Hach, Chemetrics, I would use shoot for the dosage of 1.1-1.18ml per gallon in an effort to maintain a level above the therapeutic minimum.

Here's a thread by Meredith that guides to which copper to use. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-and-treatment-guidelines-with-chart.283450/#post-3449648

Thanks @Big G, I should have mentioned the cupramine is still completely fine to use. That it just tends to be "more harsh" for certain species.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5FE8FD8B-8511-40A8-BD88-11D5594E93E4.jpeg
They are using copper power.

Here is the butterfly in question.... just feed them hence the abundance of particles in the water.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I was watching this earlier and haven’t had time to go back and look at everything.

Can someone post a synopsis here toward the end of this to recap?

I JUST took a McCosker out of copper today after 30 days therapeutic with velvet. I used API - didn’t see any of this until after I had started. Consistently measured at 2 (always measured from pre-mixed buckets when doing water changes). At least with API it seemed to be good to go. Hoping it didn’t measure higher than it actually was. I’d be heartbroken if he got sick again.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I was watching this earlier and haven’t had time to go back and look at everything.

I JUST took a McCosker out of copper today after 30 days therapeutic with velvet. I used API - didn’t see any of this until after I had started. Consistently measured at 2 (always measured from pre-mixed buckets when doing water changes). At least with API it seemed to be good to go. Hoping it didn’t measure higher than it actually was. I’d be heartbroken if he got sick again.
Readers digest version is basically this.

We have reason to believe that there are multiple strengths of Coppersafe that have been sold. The most reliable way to measure copper seems to be the Hanna high range copper test kit.

If you are confident with the API, and went off that API test, you should be ok. Personally, I can't read the API copper test at all.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In short— coppersafe quality control is apparently orchestrated by howler monkeys, Hanna Checker is extremely accurate at testing copper of all forms we’ve found thus far, and you’re probably just fine. Two weeks observation will prove your treatment effectiveness but remember 1.5-2.5 range is ideal so if you’re thinking you were at 2.0 PPM you’re probably OK.

I’d recommend locating a Hanna high range copper checker though and some reagents going forward and avoid the use of coppersafe.

Copper power and cupramine in that order would be our collective suggestion, I believe I speak for most of us here.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What @Brew12 and @4FordFamily said^^^^

Plus, if you have a recently purchased bottle of copper safe, and were dosing per manufacturer instructions. You are probably more than good!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @Brew12 and @4FordFamily said^^^^

Plus, if you have a recently purchased bottle of copper safe, and were dosing per manufacturer instructions. You are probably more than good!
This because they were more potent than previous bottles.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consistently measured at 2 (always measured from pre-mixed buckets when doing water changes)
Sure you are fine. I had my wife, the artist, eye balling during my last batch with Coppersafe and API Copper Test Kit. She said, and I agreed, it looked like 2.0. Turned out when I got my Hanna High Level Copper Checker, it was actually 2.80 Yikes. And my wrasse was starting to act a bit funny and not eating. So, with newly arrived Hanna in hand, I lowered the copper to 1.8ish and he's fine. Darned API kit is almost useless. Get yourself a Hanna ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New bottle exp. 2/15/19 - 5ml to 4 gallons reading 2.38ppm
It's almost like they decided to change the concentration instead of changing the dosing instructions. Maybe they hoped no one would notice.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, so basically, previously believed to have a concentration of 1.16ppm if dosed per manufacturer instructions. Now seems to be anywhere from 2.0-3.0ppm.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, so basically, previously believed to have a concentration of 1.16ppm if dosed per manufacturer instructions. Now seems to be anywhere from 2.0-3.0ppm.
What could go wrong?

8947F882-C723-43B7-BC6B-9EE5D92FFD6B.jpeg

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't seem to find any supply of copper power up in the frozen North, so will just stick with this and adjust.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't seem to find any supply of copper power up in the frozen North, so will just stick with this and adjust.

You have your checker. As well as a good baseline now. So you should be able to do a little math and dose accordingly. My only advice, Just test frequently.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm about a week into ramping up copper (Coppersafe because I had it in my meds to keep on hand kit) for suspected ich, I've ordered the Checker but it's on backorder so I'm currently using the API kit. Can I switch to copper power if I can get it ordered now or is it best to stick with Coppersafe since that's what I started with? I'm dosing small and testing often. I still think I'm below 2 and I've been dosing slowly for a week now.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back