Coral Bandit Pair

  • Thread starter Thread starter TonyT
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TonyT

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 13, 2010
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently got back into this hobby (about 6 mo), and I traded for a suppossed pair or coral bandit shrimp. Guy said he was not positive if it was a pair. Now I have all these tiny creatures in my sump, overflows, and swimming in the tank. They are VERY fast and hard to see. One of the shrimp (probable female?) has a very swollen abdomen. Are these tiny creatures baby shrimp? Does anyone have any experience with these guys breeding? Will the babies be good food or will they take over the tank as they grow? Any help is appreciated.

TonyT
 
Coral >banded< shrimp.

Could those "tiny creatures" be pods (copepods, amphipods, etc)? or do they look totally different?

It's possible that they could be babies. Most likely, they'll end up being food for fish/coral in the tank.
 
What you are seeing is most likely copepods which is a good thing. I had a mated pair of CBS before. The female carries her eggs under her tail. It would be seriously hard to miss if she were prego. I never did get any shrimp babies though.
 
Definately not copods, although I do see those throughout the filter and overflows. They are getting bigger and look like a shrimp. The female is definately swollen. Looks like she is about to explode. Very blue belly too.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new