Coral ID help

Family Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks in advance to anyone who can lend a hand here. I've searched, and searched, and searched, and asked the store, and searched, and I still can't definitively ID these corals.
IMG_4458.JPG

And I know this next one is a goni (in the foreground), but which kind?
IMG_4482.JPG

Thank you for the education!

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st looks like a Leptastrea (looks sorta like an ice blue, but yours has a cooler/different color pattern). And I am unsure on the type of Goni (there are a LOT of different types)

OP
OP
Family Tanks

Family Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st looks like a Leptastrea (looks sorta like an ice blue, but yours has a cooler/different color pattern). And I am unsure on the type of Goni (there are a LOT of different types)
Thank you, but I'm not sure that's the one. The lighter portions are sort of a grey-ice blue. It fluoresces moderately under blue LEDs, but not super bright. It has a slightly fuzzy appearance to it. Almost like velvet. I have another I believe is either a lepta or a favia (the one in the background of the goni picture) and the mystery coral doesn't really show much of a 3 dimensional structure. It's very flat as it crusts onto the plug.

As for the goni, I have it mounted somewhat below another species of goni with much longer tentacle extension. I'm banking on similar species playing nice with each other as they grow.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is hard to capture the color on photos. Pretty coral though! The only encrusting stony coral I have is a war coral, but these look really cool.
Gonis should play nice with one another. I think as long as it is not an Alveopora and Goni.
Sometimes conditions in the tank/lighting and flow will affect how long it extends too.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%

Back