Coral Planning New Tank

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to plan out my long-term coral layout and need some advice or thoughts. This is my first tank so I'm new to planning it all out. I have fallen in love with Hammers, Torches, and Frogspawn and definitely want to do a Zoa Garden. Below are pictures of my scape and what I'm thinking right now. Let me know what you think and if you have tips or ideas for me! Thanks!

IMG_3901.jpg
Front Tank.jpg
IMG_3903.jpg
Close Up.jpg
IMG_3905.jpg
Sideview.jpg

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of par are you working with on that top rock?

The mushroom and zoas on the bottom portions are good ideas and would work well.

The only thing I would be careful about is the torch being close to the hammers and frogs? Sometimes its better to elevate or extend the torch a few inches further from the hammers and frogs.

OP
OP
R

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of par are you working with on that top rock?

The mushroom and zoas on the bottom portions are good ideas and would work well.

The only thing I would be careful about is the torch being close to the hammers and frogs? Sometimes its better to elevate or extend the torch a few inches further from the hammers and frogs.
I don't have exact Par readings but the below diagram is for the same light, same size tank, and mounting distance.
Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 9.13.37 AM.png

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice scape! It looks well planned out, as mentioned above keep the torches far enough from the frogspawn and hammers. The question mark area with the par you are showing should be fine for some easy sps such as birdsnest and monti caps once the tank is a little mature. I placed mine at 6 months. They are relatively inexpensive and hardy. Make sure your zoa garden isn’t attached to the main rock work or you’ll have a giant zoa garden. Some other medium to low light corals the seem pretty hardy, candy canes, blastos and acans. A nice hardy soft coral would include a sinularia. Good luck!

OP
OP
R

RockusDukakis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice scape! It looks well planned out, as mentioned above keep the torches far enough from the frogspawn and hammers. The question mark area with the par you are showing should be fine for some easy sps such as birdsnest and monti caps once the tank is a little mature. I placed mine at 6 months. They are relatively inexpensive and hardy. Make sure your zoa garden isn’t attached to the main rock work or you’ll have a giant zoa garden. Some other medium to low light corals the seem pretty hardy, candy canes, blastos and acans. A nice hardy soft coral would include a sinularia. Good luck!
02BF093D-5881-45DA-A54B-26D231F1B1C0.jpeg

Thanks for the advice! Here’s what I added!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back