Coraline Algae

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by Cory F, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Cory F

Cory F Member

Hello im somewhat new to saltwater aquariums ive had mine up now for roughly 6 months. Im have trouble getting different types of coraline algae to grow. The only color i have is a reddish color and from what i understand other colors have to be physically brought into my tank? How would i go about getting other colors of algae? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

GoVols and Mal11224 like this.

2. jbomb001

jbomb001 Active Member

Buy rocks or snails or something with the algae’s on it/them

GoVols likes this.
  3. Mal11224

Mal11224 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Welcome to R2R Cory... after your tank matures, you will likely see coralline algae grow on the rocks and other areas. It is usually introduced into the tank on coral frags, snails, etc... give it time.

nfrench2100 and GoVols like this.
  4. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Cory,

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef and thanks for signing up.

You can turn all your pumps off for awhile, and scrape some coralline into fine particles to help it spread.
    The most common colors are red or purple and a lot of it depends on your lighting.

Be sure to keep your magnesium up, with your cal and alk.

No magic tricks to reefing, besides good water parameters, flow, lighting and long term stability.

Freddie

Sterlingg and Mal11224 like this.
  5. Benga

Benga Active Member

As many others have said, it has to be introduced into the tank via snail shells, rocks, plugs etc. Also make sure your calcium levels are at the appropriate range.

GoVols likes this.
  6. mjlash22

mjlash22 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

GoVols likes this.
  7. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

To myself:
    Coralline algae is like Bubble Tip Anemones. Sometimes they bubble and sometimes they don't.

If you don't have coralline, it does not mean, your reef is not healthy.

:)

jbomb001 and Mal11224 like this.
  8. jbomb001

jbomb001 Active Member

I remember having lots of coralline and a very unhealthy reef lol

9. BigJohnny

BigJohnny Valuable Member

It just takes time

10. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

It takes time. I have a 3 month old cube. I took the power head out of my 9+ month nano/frag tank that grows coralline like crazy on the power head and overflow, but the rocks are bare, because urchin... scraped most of the coralline off the power head into the display of the cube. I now have some pink/purple spots on the clear frag rack in the corner starting to grow, but the rocks still show no signs.

It'll happen... sometimes it's fast, sometimes it takes forever. It always has to be introduced tho. Just focus on keeping your parameters stable.

jbomb001 likes this.
  11. jbomb001

jbomb001 Active Member

It’s a good indicator of stability. I personally think it takes up a lot of good stuff our corals could use

12. mjlash22

mjlash22 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

This is true, it does use a lot of the same elements corals use, but consistent testing and dosing will compensate.

Draft saved Draft deleted