Corals has brown tips

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I changed might light to a Kessil AP9X, and i ran the acclimation program. Just after the program was done i noticed a couple of corals got some brown tips, and in fact one Arcropora died on me. It lost it's tissue and i'm not sure there was anything i could do. I was really stressed during this time so i had no time to check for PAR or anything. I was hoping an acclimation program for two weeks would be ok. Silly me!

But, i still have three tiny frags which i think is Acropora Valida (purple) and they have some brown tips. A week ago i measured the PAR and it turned out to be like 600-800 PAR. I adjusted it to around 400-600 PAR about where they are located. Another Acro is located on a bit farther to the left and seems to be ok. So this browning of tips i recon is from the new lights? I have made a new program, and i wonder if you guys think i should max the purple bar to max for all points? As a side note i can tell you that this light will fry anything. The acro that "melted" got 800 PAR.

Another noob question: if i up the purple to max, will the PAR or maybe PUR increase? Maybe both? Lets say i'm happy with the intensity and just increase the purple color? I mean i wont't touch the intensity bar. Because i think purple is good for corals? :) I think the current setting is quiet good, but if the purple color is more beneficial then i will increase it.

And i kept the red and green a bit higher just to make the light look better. I think the red promotes algae.....but does it hurt anything to keep it that level? I have attached a picture of my current program. Any input is appreciated! Thank you, and have a great weekend! Oh, and tomorrow i will measure PAR again because it changed the position slightly again.

IMG_4534.PNG

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the lights you have but red definitely does promote algae growth. I use ai hydras and have the red completely off. Make sure you’re also focusing on your water parameters to be sure your corals are getting the nutrients they need to to survive

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the lights you have but red definitely does promote algae growth. I use ai hydras and have the red completely off. Make sure you’re also focusing on your water parameters to be sure your corals are getting the nutrients they need to to survive
Thanks, yes i might decrease the red colour a bit. I guess i should have violet set to max then? If i do, and keep the intensity where it is, do you think the PAR will change?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back