Corals shrinking at night

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every night when my lights are off, my corals look god awful at night. Melted, small, closed, just terrible, but then during the day everything looks fabulous. Is there any science or reasoning behind this? Does this happen to anyone else?

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every night when my lights are off, my corals look god awful at night. Melted, small, closed, just terrible, but then during the day everything looks fabulous. Is there any science or reasoning behind this? Does this happen to anyone else?
That’s what corals do atleast most of them maybe a defensive thing from predators? Mine shrivel up at night except my scoly coral that come to lifeeee

Upvote 0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your tank at night with a flashlight, you’ll see a whole different world. Some corals retract, some expand, some only feed at night, microfauna you don’t see during the day come out, sometimes you’ll see stuff spawning, sometimes you’ll look on a night when something has released larvae or eggs have hatched and the water’s full of swimming little whatevers only to never be seen again. I will often sit in front of my tank at night for an hour just watching, its often just as interesting if not more so than when the lights are on.

Upvote 0

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your tank at night with a flashlight, you’ll see a whole different world. Some corals retract, some expand, some only feed at night, microfauna you don’t see during the day come out, sometimes you’ll see stuff spawning, sometimes you’ll look on a night when something has released larvae or eggs have hatched and the water’s full of swimming little whatevers only to never be seen again. I will often sit in front of my tank at night for an hour just watching, its often just as interesting if not more so than when the lights are on.
A mature reef tank is more interesting at night than in the day.

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep, totally normal. They'll sometimes also scrunch up briefly during the day, if annoyed by something. If they un-scrunch after a couple hours, it's probably fine.

Upvote 0

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see yourself at night sleeping Curled up in a ball, sweating, drooling, snoring.

Lololololololololol

Upvote 0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 55 73.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back