Corals turning white and dying

sethd78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had these corals for 3 plus years and as far as I know I haven’t changed anything. My water parameters all seems decent. Nitrates at 5
Phosphates are 0.16
But just recently all 3 of my 5 SPS have started turning white at the base and it’s slowly spreading out towards the tips. As they are turning white brown algae is growing on them.
coincidentally, my leather coral won’t open and extend polyps and my bubble coral has regressed. All my other lps and soft corals are fine and my lettuce coral, birdsnest, and acro are fine. So confusing.

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had these corals for 3 plus years and as far as I know I haven’t changed anything. My water parameters all seems decent. Nitrates at 5
Phosphates are 0.16
But just recently all 3 of my 5 SPS have started turning white at the base and it’s slowly spreading out towards the tips. As they are turning white brown algae is growing on them.
coincidentally, my leather coral won’t open and extend polyps and my bubble coral has regressed. All my other lps and soft corals are fine and my lettuce coral, birdsnest, and acro are fine. So confusing.
I would say that the best bet is to get an ICP analysis done if your parameters are where they normally are. Unfortunately, sometimes there are things that we can't catch on our own.

- Gavin

Reefer/0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leather coral might be going into shed and releasing toxins- and Sps are more sensitive to it? Never experienced this myself but the general advice is to run carbon to absorb some of these toxins

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will second the ICP. Just helps narrow things down a bit. Nutrients look fine.

I would also review the basics:
- double check refractometer calibration with a second
- double check all pumps and wet MAGNETS
- test kit expirations
- RODI cartridge age, membrane. Municipal water supplies very in quality by season.

Much less likely, but STN from the base can be a sign of red bugs or white bugs (tegastes). I was having a similar issue and went for the Interceptor treatment which SEEMED to resolve the issue. Consider as a last resort, as there are some downsides. That said, many/most professional acropora growers dose the stuff prophylactically.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back