Could I keep just a strong, deep blue light on for my saltwater tank during the day or would white be better?

Nathan4378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a cheap aquarium light from Amazon that has two modes, "blue" and "white." The thing was like 30-50 bucks (i can't remember) and it fits on my 30-gallon tank. I recently put some new zoanthids in the tank (which has no coral, only 2 healthy clowns) and have been putting them under the bright "white" light. I heard that the blue light setting is better for the coral's health. Is it safe/healthy for the fish? Should a blue light be on during the day or does it stimulate the night? Thx!

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a cheap aquarium light from Amazon that has two modes, "blue" and "white." The thing was like 30-50 bucks (i can't remember) and it fits on my 30-gallon tank. I recently put some new zoanthids in the tank (which has no coral, only 2 healthy clowns) and have been putting them under the bright "white" light. I heard that the blue light setting is better for the coral's health. Is it safe/healthy for the fish? Should a blue light be on during the day or does it stimulate the night? Thx!
You should do some research. Corals are photosynthetic, but for white light only. Blue light will not help feed the coral. Someone may come around around and help you out, but you should do a lot more research on lights

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do these light come with a colour spectrum chart or something? Depending on the actual “blue” corals will grow. In white, corals and algae will fly.

Edit - depending upon light intensity, obviously.

Last edited:

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals need blue light they done need the white that’s just for your pleasure
Many Corals need BOTH white AND blue light. It is possible to get away with blue light, but I’ve never seen anyone (in my experience) keep anything other than soft corals. Similarly, I have never seen anyone keep stony corals with only white light.

i do realize I said corals are only photosynthetic to white light. I must have been... out if it... when I said that.

Afaylenerich88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals need blue light they done need the white that’s just for your pleasure
Please don’t give miss information: if you don’t know how spectrum works and how your corals use it. Corals use from purple to white spectrum this Includes (white, blue,purple,red,green, yellow) this is what’s called full spectrum: and during your daylight phase 12am at full 10-50k spectrum will work till about -3:30pm when your lights should start ramping down to a blue/reddish pink spectrum: then down to blue spectrum. Many different corals use these spectrums In different ways to benefit them. You need to take into consideration about your hat type of coral and fish you are keeping. Then base your spectrum and light sced on there needs. Argo don’t put a low light softie in a tank that have 400+ par. They cannot use that high of light. Do your research. Any light will grow soft corals. But not any light will grow acros
030DD2F3-02C8-43FA-97E9-71EFB912F992.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic of corals under 100% blue/violet and 1% white for 4 years.
Softy, Clams, Sticks.
Corals are super adaptable to light as long as it’s consistent.
It’s change they hate.

2F4066C0-8BD1-4FCE-AA00-EE8F6353025C.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read Dana Riddle's stuff on lighting. Also look at the spectral output of "white" LEDs, there's a huge blue component. I recently had a discusion about this with a friend asked the same question. Using dichromatic lenses with my apogee I was able to show him about a third of the blue spectrum from his radions was coming from the white channel, not the blue, royal blue, violet and uv channels.

You also have to look at the types of chromo anf flourescent proteins being made by the coral. For example a pink colored coral may be using chromo protiens that reflects red and blue and it's absorbing the green, yellow and orange components of the spectrum. It's not going to look good and likely won't do well just using the blue bandwitdths. I would suggest making sure the white light intensity is set to the appropriate PAR levels for the corals you are keeping.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read Dana Riddle's stuff on lighting. Also look at the spectral output of "white" LEDs, there's a huge blue component. I recently had a discusion about this with a friend asked the same question. Using dichromatic lenses with my apogee I was able to show him about a third of the blue spectrum from his radions was coming from the white channel, not the blue, royal blue, violet and uv channels.

You also have to look at the types of chromo anf flourescent proteins being made by the coral. For example a pink colored coral may be using chromo protiens that reflects red and blue and it's absorbing the green, yellow and orange components of the spectrum. It's not going to look good and likely won't do well just using the blue bandwitdths. I would suggest making sure the white light intensity is set to the appropriate PAR levels for the corals you are keeping.
Love reading your posts. I always learn something, beacuse you can explane it "laymens" terms.

jayspadesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don’t give miss information: if you don’t know how spectrum works and how your corals use it. Corals use from purple to white spectrum this Includes (white, blue,purple,red,green, yellow) this is what’s called full spectrum: and during your daylight phase 12am at full 10-50k spectrum will work till about -3:30pm when your lights should start ramping down to a blue/reddish pink spectrum: then down to blue spectrum. Many different corals use these spectrums In different ways to benefit them. You need to take into consideration about your hat type of coral and fish you are keeping. Then base your spectrum and light sced on there needs. Argo don’t put a low light softie in a tank that have 400+ par. They cannot use that high of light. Do your research. Any light will grow soft corals. But not any light will grow acros
This hasn’t really been the case for me but I’m just a heavy t5 user so maybe it’s a bit different for leds and coral placement also comes to play

jayspadesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many Corals need BOTH white AND blue light. It is possible to get away with blue light, but I’ve never seen anyone (in my experience) keep anything other than soft corals. Similarly, I have never seen anyone keep stony corals with only white light.

i do realize I said corals are only photosynthetic to white light. I must have been... out if it... when I said that.
Lol it’s all good but I do have white t5s bulbs

OP
OP
N

Nathan4378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx guys for all the support. I'll definitely be doing my research... i heard that for "beginners"/ easy(ness?) i could just use t5 lighting and maybe metal halides. Is this true? Like do I need to research a lot more into learning the color spectrum and different lightings?

OP
OP
N

Nathan4378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx for the info. Ill def be looking into "full spectrum" lighting. I mean I've just been using a $30 less light from amazon lol

OP
OP
N

Nathan4378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it does come with a color spectrum... here it is
Do these light come with a colour spectrum chart or something? Depending on the actual “blue” corals will grow. In white, corals and algae will fly.

Edit - depending upon light intensity, obviously

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 6.15.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 6.15.35 PM.png
    377 KB · Views: 83

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, a white LED is mostly blue, and corals get almost all of their energy from blue light. That spectrum is weird and the red peak looks artificial. Color temp is actually around 4500k.

The color isn't a problem. Its the 15watts and 60lum/watt effiency that's a problem. That's pretty low output for a 30gal. You will have to mount the zoas really high.

For the record, white isn't a spectrum. Its a combination of blue, green and either orange or red. Photosynthetic organisms dont see 'white either. They just see the specific spectrum they need and absorb it.

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on type of coral you trying to keep. For example some zoas love blue and not much white light.. then others that love to get pounded by white light. It all comes down to where was that coral collected from... but good luck trying to find that out.. it’s all about trying things and observing.. nutrients play a big role as well.

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, a white LED is mostly blue, and corals get almost all of their energy from blue light. That spectrum is weird and the red peak looks artificial. Color temp is actually around 4500k.

The color isn't a problem. Its the 15watts and 60lum/watt effiency that's a problem. That's pretty low output for a 30gal. You will have to mount the zoas really high.

For the record, white isn't a spectrum. Its a combination of blue, green and either orange or red. Photosynthetic organisms dont see 'white either. They just see the specific spectrum they need and absorb it.
Correct - white is practically a rainbow of colors in the spectrum!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back