Could too much light be causing my Acropora to bleach?

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for 2 weeks now, I have been keeping my first Acropora frag (green slimer). It had been thriving for 10 days during the light acclimation period. The past several days since the acclimation period ended, the base has been bleaching (polyps still have healthy color.) I am running 2 XR 15 Gen 5 Blue Radions at 70% schedule intensity using using the Coral AB+ template. The acropora is approximately 6 inches from the water surface. All of my other sps frags are thriving: (Birdsnests, monti caps, stylophoras, and Pocillapora). I'm also running an Mp40 and a 2k Icecap gyre @ 60x DT turnover rate.

Paramaters:

1.026 S.G. (Milwaukee)
Ph: 8.5 (Hanna)
dKH 9.8: (Hanna)
Ca 505: ( Hanna)
Mg: 1500 (Red Sea)
Ammonia/nitrites: 0 (Red Sea)
Nitrates: 20-30 ppm (Red Sea)
PO4: .12 ( Hanna)

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically acro's don't "bleach" from the base up as a result of too much light, it would be where the light is the strongest. Any pictures? How is the flow specific to where the base (area being affected) is located?

Upvote 0

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the par reading from brs par testing on 6 inch from the surface.
Keep in mind 1/4 of frags dont make it tree the transplant phase.
Is it a new frag.
It could be a combination of light and nutrients. If two many free oxygen radicals form the coral may bleach

Upvote 0

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the par reading from brs par testing on 6 inch from the surface.
Is it a new frag.
It could be a combination of light and nutrients. If two many free oxygen radicals form the coral may bleach
?free oxygen radicals?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a new frag.
Unfortunately I don't have a PAR meter. I can't afford one at the moment. Are you talking about ORP? (Oxygen reduction potential). My Apex probe says it's in normal range (250).

Upvote 0

SeaworthyAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't sound like the light unless the frags came from a super dark tank. I've tossed new Slimer frags under almost identical light with no issues. Any big dips in your alk, temp or phosphate recently? I've found my acros can bleach from the bottom up if I have sudden large drops in any of these. Like using GFO to get rid of phosphate quickly. Some pests like red bugs can also cause that kind of damage from the base up. Did you dip it?

This is under XR15s 80% AB+ with very similar parameters and went from brown to this in a few weeks.
1641268348484.png

Upvote 0

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't sound like the light unless the frags came from a super dark tank. I've tossed new Slimer frags under almost identical light with no issues. Any big dips in your alk, temp or phosphate recently? I've found my acros can bleach from the bottom up if I have sudden large drops in any of these. Like using GFO to get rid of phosphate quickly. Some pests like red bugs can also cause that kind of damage from the base up. Did you dip it?

This is under XR15s 80% AB+ with very similar parameters and went from brown to this in a few weeks.
1641268348484.png
You got a pic of it brown?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1641268348484.png
Thanks think you were right. I turned my lighting intensity up to 80% today, and made some placing adjustments ( made sure the frag was standing as straight as possible directly under the center of one of the Radions) and I already see color coming back.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back