Crustacean

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a predatory tank im getting a trigger a lionfish a grouper and a eel what crustaceans can I put in their that’ll clean up and not get eaten

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a predatory tank im getting a trigger a lionfish a grouper and a eel what crustaceans can I put in their that’ll clean up and not get eaten
I think you'd be taking a huge gamble trying any crustacean with that group. With the exception of the lionfish and fang-tooth eels, pretty much everything in that list eats crustaceans as a major part of their natural diet.

Lions should be fine with any hard-bodied crustacean that's not big enough to attack/prey on them, but pebble-tooth eels will eat pretty much any crustacean you put in the tank. I've heard triggers are hit and miss with crustaceans, but generally miss (meaning they usually end up eating at least one kind of crustacean in the tank) - some species are slightly less risky than others, but they're all high risk. Groupers (as I understand it) will pretty much eat whatever fits in their mouth, with some larger ones apparently preferring crustaceans.

If you're looking for CUC inverts with that group, you may want to look more at things like brittle stars or a sand-sifting sea cucumber (you need to be a bit careful with these and use things like nem-guards). Depending on what species of trigger you're looking at, you may or may not be able to keep an urchin (I've heard of people keeping Blue Throat/Crosshatch Triggers with urchins successfully, and supposedly Sargassum Triggers may work too, but most triggers will actively prey on urchins).

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok I am stocked with a Picasso trigger and a shortfin lionfish a comet grouper and a snowflake eel
Yeah, the Snowflake Eel is a pebble-tooth eel and is definitely not crustacean safe. From what I've read, the Picasso Trigger is definitely not crustacean safe either (Picasso Triggers are also not urchin safe). I'm not sure on the grouper.

The lionfish would be fine though.

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brittle stars and sand sifting sea cucumbers are probably your best bet for CUC. As mentioned, you would want to make sure you have nem guards on your powerheads if you get any cucumbers though, and you need to be careful about maintaining good water quality as some cukes release toxins when stressed (having carbon and extra saltwater on hand is probably a good idea for any cucumbers you might buy).

Upvote 0

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back