Current USA Orbit Marine LED x2 & PAR

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40G breeder with a mix of soft corals (GSP, Zoas), LPS corals (acans, bubble, torch), and a mushroom. I’ve been using the Current USA Orbit Marine for a few months, and it seems to be doing right by my corals. Well, long story short - I put in a protein skimmer to help keep my tank in check (have a couple fish) and had to place it in the skimmer compartment of my AIO, resulting in having to move my LEDs to the back, causing a lot of shadowing.

i bought a second light (same, Current USA Orbit Marine) and adjusted the LEDs R,G,B lights to 50% power for each, instead of having 1 light at 100% intensity.

does anyone knowledgeable about LEDs know if PAR works like this? (If 1 light at 100% intensity = 2 lights at 50% intensity)? My current plan is to just monitor and adjust as necessary.

in the meantime, there’s far less shadows and everything pops a little more. Brightness looks the same as it used too, just less shadows when watching my fish swim.

thanks in advance for taking the time read through all this!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The intensity should roughly double in the areas where the lights intersect and remain the same where they don't.

If you can rent a par meter, that would be great. Current has the par readings on their website of a single and double light (which I assume uses the double light bracket). These are assuming you have all channels at 100%

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The intensity should roughly double in the areas where the lights intersect and remain the same where they don't.

If you can rent a par meter, that would be great. Current has the par readings on their website of a single and double light (which I assume uses the double light bracket). These are assuming you have all channels at 100%
Thanks, I took a look at those. I guess I just wasn’t sure how PAR is effected as % intensity is decreased (if it’s a linear correlation or not). Ultimately I’ll just gauge how my tanks responding and adjust accordingly! That’s nice part is I now am able to slowly increase PAR in my tank!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I took a look at those. I guess I just wasn’t sure how PAR is effected as % intensity is decreased (if it’s a linear correlation or not). Ultimately I’ll just gauge how my tanks responding and adjust accordingly! That’s nice part is I now am able to slowly increase PAR in my tank!

It should just be directly related to % output. Unless there is some physics I am missing. I believe I remember one person on here mentioning it not being linear at one point, but it isn't something I'd stress about.

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to bump this old thread with a question. Why do current USA orbit marine LED settings recommend 100% power on red and green LEDs when I see most light settings (albeit on better products) running red/greens at 5-15% or even at 0%?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to bump this old thread with a question. Why do current USA orbit marine LED settings recommend 100% power on red and green LEDs when I see most light settings (albeit on better products) running red/greens at 5-15% or even at 0%?

Probably because the lights are so weak.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back