Cycle Question

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my IM NUVO 40 running for about 2.5 weeks. Dry rock, and Caribsea arag alive fiji pink live sand. I started the cycle with Dr. Tim's and I'm fishless cycling w/ dosing ammonia. I started with an 2ppm dose, a few days later a 1 ppm dose and then another 1 ppm dose at around the 10 day mark. As of the 2 week mark I was seeing 0 ammonia in my tests, but around 2ppm nitrites. Yesterday I dosed 2ppm ammonia again, to see if the tank could cycle it in a 24 hour period. It seems to still be at 2 ppm. It doesn't appear to have moved much since I tested yesterday immediately after adding ammonia. Any thoughts here? Did a do too large a test dose?

Sorry for asking this for the millionth time, but I suppose each tank is different and I want to get other's opinions of what's going on here. I've attached a tank pic for reference. I have a good amount of sand/rock.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its done. do a full water change and begin, covered here. you are done for sure.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible testing error.
Did you measure the tank after adding ammonia last, to be sure it was 2ppm?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the one difference that thread brings is that we don't have to wait for your wastewater to clear, its been compounded, what it reads is fine and varies wildly in lots of posts.

change out the water, it'll read great, begin. ten day bac, known ammonia drop, meets ammonia line from a cycling chart.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did test the tank after adding the ammonia yesterday, it tested 2ppm, which is the max my Red Sea test reads. It could have been testing error, and I may have over dosed it. Using the instructions on the bottle I added 4 drops per gallon of water, which I approximated at about 25 gallons (probably a slight underestimate of how much water is actually in the tank.) I figured I had dosed less than 2ppm, but I suppose either the test isn't accurate or trying to count drops isn't a great method of measurement!

I appreciate the info. I'll start mixing up a new batch of salt water and do a water change tomorrow if possible.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are prob near done anyways. 2.5 weeks with bacteria and feeding it usually produces good results

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question. I would imagine a single fish doesn't produce anywhere near the level of ammonia I dosed with, is that correct? Is that why I'm safe to add a fish? Because the bacteria is processing ammonia faster than a single inhabitant can produce it?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and in addition: you have likely provided ample sand and or rock surface area, wastewater exposure sites to a high degree that amplify the ability of a thin layer of bac. Plus you have tank dilution and lastly these strains are already tested and charted out we know how long they take to fill in surfaces. Dr Reefs bottle bac thread ninety pages of study.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back