Cycle within a week?

KameronManning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved and have had my fish in holding for a month at a lfs. Finally was able to get my tank set up yesterday. Need to get my fish out of holding because they’re charging me an arm and a leg. What’s the best way to ensure success if I want to add them in a week.

I’ve added used/established media (bioballs) from the lfs, used live sand , plenty of rock and have dr Tim’s on standby.

40 gallon cube
2 clowns
Bicolor Blenny
Leopard wrasse
Keyhole angel
Fire shrimp

Thank you for any help given.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have live ocean rock or live rock from an established system you can get setup in a week (pretty much dump everything in and you are set, as long as no die off from the rock). Dry rock with bacteria will work after a week too, but you will go through ugly phase again

Upvote 0

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use cycled rock from another tank or store than the tank is pretty much cycled. I added clownfish to my tank the same day I set it up by using cycled rock.

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved and have had my fish in holding for a month at a lfs. Finally was able to get my tank set up yesterday. Need to get my fish out of holding because they’re charging me an arm and a leg. What’s the best way to ensure success if I want to add them in a week.

I’ve added used/established media (bioballs) from the lfs, used live sand , plenty of rock and have dr Tim’s on standby.

40 gallon cube
2 clowns
Bicolor Blenny
Leopard wrasse
Keyhole angel
Fire shrimp

Already done.
Established media, sand and rock is all you need. Probably will be done in 24-48 hours. Just keep it wet.

Upvote 0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not likely anything in Dr. Tims that is not on the live rock already. Probably no harm to add it, but also not necessary, IMO. The only thing that needs to happen is for that stuff on the rock to spread, multiply and get everywhere instead of just on the rocks. The rocks alone should be able to handle some amount of fish waste, but probably not a whole lot, which is why the tank is still in the process of cycling and getting mature, but is ready for fish when acting smartly.

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
entrants at the local marine tank convention: cycle within a week= miss the convention

how about cycle within 1 minute, ready on the start date of the show all display skip cycle tanks, then carry sixty thousand dollars in fish and coral as long as you want to run it :)

that's what transferring live rock among tanks does.

Upvote 0

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

40 gallon cube
2 clowns
Bicolor Blenny
Leopard wrasse
Keyhole angel
Fire shrimp

What are you feeding the nitrifiers ( AOA, AOB & NOB ) ?

Probably happens !

Upvote 0

RandyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do some testing first to see how some basic parameters are looking. Have you seen the cycle go through Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate phases? Do all other parameters look good?

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 78.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back