Dave's Custom 400 gallon tank build

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

Documenting my journey that I'm about to start. Background info: I've been a reefer for about 10 years now. Started with a bio cube then progressed to a reefer nano then reefer 170 than Reefer 525XL than a Reefer 750XXL. (Whew)

Now I was going to upgrade to the 900XXL but I felt that it was stupid to upgrade a tank if your only going to increase the display volume by 32 gallons. (Reefer 750XXL is 160 gallons in display and 900xxl is 192 gallons)

Thus I decided to go custom. Go big or go home right. I already knew this was going to be an expensive endeavor. So here's the specs for the tank so far.

Tank dimensions: 96 inches long x 28 inches wide x 24 inches high

The tank will have 3/4 inch glass all around and on the bottom. Eurobraced on bottom and top. Also I'm adding black abs on the bottom of the tank. For overflow options this tank will have the hybrid/zero external overflow. It's 30 inches long and is completely flushed with the back glass. There's 1.5 inch drains x 3. There are 1 inch x 2 return nozzles on the back side at the top left and right. I was going to get the Armoured seams added but since the tank was already built prior and I forgot about this option so guess I won't be getting it.

Estimated volume is 280 gallons.

I'm still in the process of deciding if I want to do a wood stand or do a aluminum stand with wood wrap. Any recommendations of solid wood vs aluminum stands with wood wrap is appreciated. Also in regards to sump I'm thinking about getting a custom sump because I want to maximize sump volume and feel that it would be silly to have a 39 inch trigger systems platinum sump on a 96 inch tank. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

See pics of the tank below. And also attached are pics of potential stands.

20210317_131308(1).jpg 20210317_131335(1).jpg 20210317_131328(1).jpg 20201221_173619.jpg 20201120_100639.jpg 20201120_100631.jpg 20201022_164649.jpg 20201111_203012(1).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
xionggotstyle

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who build the tank? That's a cool overflow, I've not seen one quite like that one before.
Its a Local guy in Central Florida. Yeah, this overflow style is called a hybrid/zero overflow. Makes it look more slick or sleek because there isnt anything sticking out like the synergy ghost overflow. I had the option of adding a synergy style overflow so that I can remove the wiers/teeth to clean. (I'm just used to doing that with RSR tanks. But I dont think it will be an issue. Should be fine.)

OP
OP
xionggotstyle

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the other equipment. Alot em I've already got and will transfer over. I've got going on:

Powerheads:
Reefwave 45
Maxspect gyre xf350 x 2 units
MP60qd x 2 units
MP40qd x 2 units

Return pump:
Ecotech Vectra L2 & Vectra L1

Skimmer:
Reef Octopus Regal 250

Calcium reactor:
Aquamaxx T1 Calcium reactor (rated for 300 gallons)

Lighting: Ecotech RMS rail 96 inch with arms
Or I might hang the light

Radion 3rd Gen Pros x 3 units

Other equipment:
Ecotech Versa 4 unit dosing pump

Santa monica algae surf 4

VCA 1 inch RFG nozzles

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a really nice looking tank. Are you from central FL as well? I used to live in New Smyrna Beach back in the day.

I've got a Synergy overflow on my 60g cube and I like it well enough. The completely flush back of your tank would be really nice though.

OP
OP
xionggotstyle

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a really nice looking tank. Are you from central FL as well? I used to live in New Smyrna Beach back in the day.

I've got a Synergy overflow on my 60g cube and I like it well enough. The completely flush back of your tank would be really nice though.
Yes I'm in Orlando. We are spoiled here because we have more than a few LFS such as TSA, WWC, and LRO. They have everything you need for your reefing needs especially livestock.

I was going to go with a synergy reef style overflow but I didn't like how there is a small internal box in there. So I'm sticking with the zero overflow box even if I can't remove the teeth/weird.

OP
OP
xionggotstyle

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following this looks like it will be a good journey
Thanks and Please do Follow this journey with me. I'm already adding it up and it hurts. Even the plumbing and bulk heads are adding up. I'm like "Holy crap....The plumbing itself is costing over $200." I didnt even factor that in. This includes pipes, unions, bulk heads, and other plumbing. I'm used to the plumbing being provided by a Red Sea Reefer tank. I'm sure there will be more costs than that. But like I said. I already knew this was going to be an expensive endeavor. ***Note: I should have bought the Plumbing stuff from BRS when they had the Spring sale just a few weeks ago***

OP
OP
xionggotstyle

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update. The tank is still being finished off with the top eurobrace and the abs bottom. That wont take long. I am now in the situation on what kind of stand I want. The White wood stand i wanted is costing pretty much the same price as the aluminum frame stand with wood wrap. The Price difference is 100 bucks. Anyone got experience or thoughts on this? Wood Stand or aluminum stand with wood wrap. Any advice is appreciated.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update. The tank is still being finished off with the top eurobrace and the abs bottom. That wont take long. I am now in the situation on what kind of stand I want. The White wood stand i wanted is costing pretty much the same price as the aluminum frame stand with wood wrap. The Price difference is 100 bucks. Anyone got experience or thoughts on this? Wood Stand or aluminum stand with wood wrap. Any advice is appreciated.
My vote would be the aluminum stand and wood wrap. That gives you options to wrap it differnetly in the future if you change décor in your home... or if you should move on from this tank, the ability for the new owner to easily rewrap it to match their décor would be a plus.Attach files

OP
OP
xionggotstyle

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New update. I'm getting a quote from Framing Tech. Heard good things about them. Anyone else use them or have experience with them? The only issue I see is that I do not want my sump area to be exposed. Hopefully Framing Tech has the options like magnetic wood wrap. Or other options that allow me to cover my sump area. I will update once I get more info. If not, I might end up just getting the aluminum stand with the wood wrap. It sucks because I need to shell out an extra 600 bucks for just the leveling legs. They are about 90 a pop. And I will need 6 of em.

drcrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting; I'm in Miami Beach and looking for a custom tank, sump and aluminum frame w/ wood wrap as well. I'll probably do a split sump with most of the mechanics in the garage.

OP
OP
xionggotstyle

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting; I'm in Miami Beach and looking for a custom tank, sump and aluminum frame w/ wood wrap as well. I'll probably do a split sump with most of the mechanics in the garage.
There are several people selling some nice tanks in south florida. You should check it out.

OP
OP
xionggotstyle

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: So I decided to the The Aluminum Frame with the wood wrap in the style that I wanted. Its gonna look nice. Just wont have any arches. But the wood wrap will look identical to it. There will be 4 doors on the front and 1 door on each side. The back will be open. The stand itself will be 40 inches tall. with a 1.5 to 2 inch lip to cover the bottom silicon on the tank. Here is an example of what it will look like. I'm excited. I'm definitely at a 5 week turn over till I get the tank. I need to finish up some remodeling before the tank gets here.

OP
OP
xionggotstyle

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

So I just picked up my custom sump. I was able to nab one for a great price that was a showroom model. The dimensions is 72 inches x 19 inches width x 17 inches height. It's a different setup with the filter socks going in the middle. The refugium section goes to the right side and the skimmer and return area is on the left side. This sump was way bigger than what I was expecting to get. I was aiming for a 60 inch length sump. But the bigger the sump the more water volume you get. This basically pushes my total setup volume to 400 gallons. Pretty sick in my opinion.

Attachments

• 20210528_121810.jpg
    20210528_121810.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210528_121813.jpg
    20210528_121813.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210528_121818.jpg
    20210528_121818.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 20210528_123257.jpg
    20210528_123257.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 92

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back