DBarsotti's Tank In Town

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few of you may have followed my old thread "Tank On A Hill", well I've moved off the hill and down into the confines of "town", so since I no longer reside on the hill it only makes since to start a new reefing chapter/thread. ha

Back on the hill I originally started with a 40g breeder... then Moved up to a 120g... then came the 48x36x12 90g Lagoon.

Heres a few pictures to sum up my past systems..

40g Breeder
DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

120g
CSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

90g Lagoon
DSC_0721.jpg

DSC_0731.jpg

DSC_0740.jpg

All these systems have had their problems and design flaws..

40g breeder
This was my first real SPS reef so its size was appropriate at the time but quickly filled up with coral since my SPS addiction grew pretty rapidly. The tank had a serious lack of swimming room for the fish and used an external overflow, which on occasion would cause unfortunate floods.

120g
This tank was a really nice size, 2x2x4. This offered a good amount of swimming room for the fish and also a lot more open sand bed which i definitely favor as i feel it makes the tank look a lot more natural. The problems i found with this tank were, the overflows in this tank took up WAY too much room (6" which made the tank only 18" wide) This also made the rock work thin and tall which left little room for corals to grow without shading each other.

90g Lagoon.
Originally this tank was meant to be used as a frag system but I wanted to combine my prop system and my display so the 90g 48"x36"x12" became my new display and at this point now is in the process of being slowly taken down and moved to my new house.
The foot print of this tank is awesome. The rock work is set up peninsula style and looks super awesome top down. I feel it resembles a natural reef pretty well. The height of the tank really limits what you can do but makes it extremely easy to work around fragging and what not. This tank only has a single overflow which i don't care for. I've learned redundancy typically works in your favor, so a second overflow would definitely come in handy if the first ever decided to clog/fail.

Anyway.. The planning and set up for my new build has begun..

Unfortunately the new system has to reside in the garage because the land lord doesn't want a tank in the house but i don't really mind, kind of turns my garage into a hiding place. ha

The new system will consist of a 90g prop system, 15g mangrove fuge, 100g sump from the old system, 50g water change tank to make life easier and the NEW 180g 48x36x24 that i am hopefully ordering within the next month or so. Total water volume will be around 435g
I am hoping this new display will meet all the needs i have and be a tank i can stick with and be happy with for the next few years. But more about the new display as we go.

I have moved over 1 of the 2 90g tanks. I have a few corals, fish and rock in the tank and it is plumbed into a temporary sump (this sump will eventually become the 50g water change tank). I have also plumbed in the new 15g mangrove fuge.

Alright. Enough blabbering..

Heres a few pictures of moving the 90g prop and plumbing in the new mangrove tank. (Everything is a disaster right now)
photo5-16.jpg

photo1-33.jpg

photo3-36.jpg

photo3-35.jpg

Cleaning the water as i plumbed in the tank
photo4-26.jpg

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling holes like an idiot cause i was too lazy to drive to my shop to get a saw.
dfb3e0c5.jpg

Float valve installed in temporary sump/future Waterchange tank. (I still need to drill a few more holes in this tank for plumbing but i'll wait till i'm done using it for a sump)
497b1d8c.jpg

temp sump plumbed
photo5-17.jpg

Mangrove Fuge
photo2-52.jpg

d68ec153.jpg

The mess that is my tank right now
e0df7272.jpg

And a few corals i've moved over last night.
c2ee63d2.jpg

Ok.. I have a few more pictures to share but it'll have to wait till tomorrow. I will continue to update this thread as i go.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool bro! Can't wait to see it complete!

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here man.. Reef slump... need to get crack'n . Hope all goes well with the new spot...

Thanks D2 once its up you gotta come check it out

Looks good Dom.... I think it's tiss the season to slack haha...

haha very true

Looking good D!

Very nice setups.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Awesome! Looking good!

your other tanks were inspirational!! can't wait to see this new one come together.

Thanks guys!

ok so here is the new light fixture i got for the Prop side of my system.
a1209c1e.jpg

a71e3dc9.jpg

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweeeet! Looking good man. Who's going to build your tank?

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks man!

Truvu, I'll draw a picture of what its going to look like and some more info on it here in a little bit

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry sorry i know i know. i have been super busy, the tank is a mess and just now i got a call that the tank on the hill overflowed the entire sump (90g) into the garage. more on that later...

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good so far..

Thanks!!

ok... So i was planning on moving the remaining tank of my system from my previous house where it's been residing for the last few months on "auto-pilot"..

well the s'morning i get a call, 7:00am...

"the fish tank is making a funny noise and the sump is empty"
-me... "is there water on the ground?"
"oh my gosh.. the garage is flooded!"

So as you can imagine my morning started off wonderfully... So i rushed out there to find 90 gallons from my sump and 10g from the ATO had been pumped out of the display all thanks to a snail making his way into the overflow and clogging the drain.. (exactly why my next system will have dual overflows)

I was planning on moving the system this weekend anyway but at this point my water was at 71 and i just so happened to turn off my RO/DI last night to change the filters and didn't have time to finish so i had absolutely no water on hand and only had about 50g worth of salt mix... so i decided.. might as well just move it now...

here's some pictures of my adventure today.. it was CRAZY stressful..

photo1-34.jpg

photo3-37.jpg

photo5-18.jpg

photo3-38.jpg

photo4-28.jpg

photo2-56.jpg

photo1-38.jpg

found this nasty little critter
photo4-30.jpg

photo1-39.jpg

photo3-40.jpg

photo2-57.jpg

photo4-29.jpg

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink Lemonade & Strawberry Fields
4586ea9f.jpg

and now everything PACKED into the prop portion of the new setup..

52eb3418.jpg

38b37967.jpg

0f1eb630.jpg

dbe6d744.jpg

d813ec00.jpg

5b32a430.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back