OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
approximately 6 months ago I tested alkalinity, calcium.
Readings below done on 4/13
Calcium. 544
alkalinity. 6.8
PH. 7.8
NO3. 20ppm
PO4 ?
SG. 1.026

bringing out the baked baking soda, to bring up pH and alkalinity. Bummer

1388187-8f2760d133364d4ff1dc8b62e88acaec.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a sample of what at least one of the stereo corals that I shipped out should look like. Beautiful. And that Coral in the picture one side has a yellow body and the other side is purple body and it's the same colony. From Indonesia

Screenshot_2020-04-14-09-41-52.png

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been messaging to Tim Wijgerde and sending videos, he gave me some info, I will take to heart
and apply

He said

They need sponges in the system, I think. They did better in my 2015 system with lots of inverts. But natural growth rates are so much higher. Interesting work, sounds similarnto what I did.

Picture from Lam Nguyen of Exclusive Corals

received_633187687244736.jpeg

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my water parameters were off and I implemented a new plan on water changes. I remove every 12 hours 3 gallons of water , I'm using 2 dosing pumps that are programmable one fills the tank and the other empties the tank of 3 gallons , this process takes approximately two and a half hours to do , which is good . and this is done automatically. I do have to fill the reservoir with saltwater and the rest is automatic. My water parameter numbers are back to normal and everyone seems happy , I did lose some corals unfortunately, because of the water parameters off

Picture from Lam Nguyen of Exclusive Corals

received_2384925014942468.jpeg

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asked what it takes to get NPS corals to thrive, here's my answer. ...

First they're living, trying to get them to thrive. ...

Coral magazine had an issue Jan-Feb 2020. On nps. When it comes to nps, they need a dedicated tank, and you must do your homework , alot of homework, willing to get your hands dirty (figure of speech), in other words experiment,experiment, experiment. .... till you succeed. Or somewhat succeed. See my thread , I've done most dirty work, got to think outside the box, if you want to be successful with these corals. Here's an example I came back 2017 and did my homework and I've been doing R&D work on Carnation corals and similar softies, from 1983 to 1989, with little success today we have access to a lot of information and equipment that helps us be more successful, so when I say thinking outside the box again when I return in 2017 I set up a refugium which was approximately 150 gallons outside next to the room where the display tank was, and in the refugium I had a hundred and twenty oysters, Pacific oysters and 80 survive and the system worked beautifully , but it wasn't successful because there was still some things that affected much more success. I won't go into details but it deals with filtration and water flow Etc.

What really open my eyes is when we had the Indo ban in 2018, that really open my eyes. And now we're going through this virus and flights to bring in live corals and fish are affected, so I tell everybody now whatever fish or corals you are getting you've got to have the mentality they are the last ones on Earth. Take care of them and hope for the best.

On Instagram I have a lot of videos , my name there is the same as here dr. dendrostein. Like anything in life a job or a hobby, pets, relationships, got to love it, you got to give it a hundred and 20%

From Internet

Screenshot_2020-04-20-23-02-49.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back